Wednesday, August 10, 2011

COMC Hobby Box - A Serial Killer, a Furry Creature and a Dangerous Predator!

Here are the next two packs in my COMC hobby box. These are my favorite two so far...

Pack 9:

2007 Allen & Ginter - #228 - Jack the Ripper ($.33)

I promised there would be a serial killer in these two packs, and here it is. Just because I don't buy A & G hobby boxes doesn't mean they don't make some nice cards. This one definitely qualifies. This card makes me want to watch From Hell. Great movie.


1973-74 Topps - #194 - Playoff Quarter-Finals (Rangers/Bruins) ($.16)

Awesome in-game photo. I can't be sure but I want to say that's number 4 down on the ice for Boston. Unfortunately the Rangers disposed of the B's fairly handily in the 72-73 playoffs, eliminating them in just 5 games:


2008 Upper Deck Timeline - #315 - Clay Buchholz (RC) ($.25)

Not really sure why I went with this one. I guess just because it's a Buchholz rookie that I was missing and it cost a quarter. Unfortunately the back is dinged in the upper left corner. Lesson learned folks, always check the front and back scans on COMC!


1974-75 Topps - #225 - Jim Rutherford ($.15)

I have to confess that I didn't know this when I picked this card out, but apparently Rutherford is the GM for the Carolina Hurricanes. I'm willing to bet he's sporting a different hairstyle these days.


2011 Gypsy Queen - #27 - Roy Oswalt (Framed Paper #'d/999) ($.45)

Man these look great.


Mini:

1975 Topps Mini - #533 - Rudy Meoli ($.30)

One of my favorite '75 Topps cards. I got the regular version almost a year ago now, so it was only fitting that I add the mini to the collection.


Insert:

1983 Topps Return of the Jedi - Sticker #24 - Wicket ($.33)

I might lose some people with this one, but you can't get a much more obscure subject than an Ewok! In case collecting baseball cards doesn't make me enough of a nerd, I also enjoy the Star Wars films. Well, the first three more than the last, but I still own them all. Return of the Jedi was the first one I ever saw as a kid, and I must have watched it 30 times thanks to our recorded VHS copy. I don't collect anything Star Wars related, but I couldn't pass this sticker up.


Pack 10:

1991 Topps - #450 - Wade Boggs ($.20)

An example of 1991 Topps done right! There will be one more '91 Topps card somewhere in these posts. Any guesses?


1992 Mother's Cookies Nolan Ryan 7 No-Hitters - #2 ($.35)

Yeah, another one of these. 17 strikeouts in no-hitter number two:


1974-75 Topps - #215 - Stanley Cup Finals (Flyers vs. Bruins) ($.16)

Two packs, two cards of the Bruins losing in the playoffs. Not so painful to post these though after last season!


2010 Topps Chrome - #85 - Kevin Youkilis (Orange Refractor) ($.65)

This is the first Orange refractor in my collection, and wow, these look great in person. I might be adding the rest of the Red Sox from this set to my want list.


1993-94 Upper Deck SP - #81 - Patrick Roy ($.70)

It's going to take me years but some day I will finish this set. 84 cards to go...


Mini:

2008 Allen & Ginter - #WDS1 - World's Deadliest Sharks - Great White ($2.29)

Easily one of my favorite minis in this haul. I love these World's Deadliest Sharks inserts from 2008 Allen & Ginter. I pulled the Bull Shark over two years ago, but everyone knows the Great White is the card to have. This leaves me with three more to track down...if anyone's got the Tiger, Oceanic Whitetip, or Mako Shark cards hit me up! At the pace I'm going it'll be six more years before I track them down.


Insert:

2011 Gypsy Queen - #SF8 - Ivan Rodriguez Sticky Fingers ($.40)

Don't worry, there won't be many Gypsy Queen cards left in these posts, in fact this might be the last one. If anyone's got Gypsy Queen cards to trade I just got my Want List updated yesterday.


Pack 9: $1.97
Pack 10: $4.75
Running Total: $28.70

Packs 11 and 12 coming soon...we'll see an auto hit, an evil villain and another great goalie mask!

3 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

I'm guessing a '91 Topps Roger Clemens makes an appearance.

shoeboxlegends said...

That is some impressive guess-work Captain!

By the way, I haven't forgotten about your card package. I think I'm upwards of a few hundred cards in your stack! Just have to get to the hobby shop for some supplies and then the post-office for a flat rate priority box...

Sal said...

That card of Wicket the Ewok actually pictures an Ewok named Paploo, played by Kenny Baker (the same guy who played R2-D2).

The Ewok on the card originally *was* supposed to be named Wicket, but George Lucas ended up giving the Wicket part to someone else, and renaming the Ewok in question "Paploo."

I guess that makes your sticker an error card :)




During production of Return of the Jedi, the Ewok on the card was named Wicket, but George Lucas swapped some of the names around and stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...