Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Other Kendrick Perkins

I'm starting to get backlogged again when it comes to posting all of the great trade packages I've been receiving.  Let's cross one off the list with the latest delivery from my friend Mark Kaz at This Way to the Clubhouse.

As a Celtics fan, Mark is probably more familiar with the Kendrick Perkins who plays center in the NBA, and who spent parts of 8 seasons with Boston.  I'll take the baseball Kendrick Perkins any day though, even if he never made it above A-ball.  Just not a big basketball guy. 

As a Boston sports fan though, I can certainly appreciate the uniqueness of this particular card.  Also, it would be pretty fun to watch the 6'10" Kendrick Perkins take an at-bat or two.  I think even I could hit that strike zone.

Of course, as is customary for our back-and-forth PWEs, Mark included 8 other cards with the Perkins, like this Retro/Future Bowman card of Wilton Veras.  Wilton actually did make it to Major League Baseball, appearing in over 80 games with Boston over 2 seasons at the turn of the century.

One of my favorite short-term Red Sox players from last decade, third baseman Bill Mueller.

Another great Wakefield card.  I'm a fan of the 2003 Opening Day set, and for whatever reason have received quite a few in trade recently.  No objections here.

I totally missed out on Pacific as a brand, so it's a good bet that virtually any Pacific card from any year they were producing them is new to me.  Such was the case with this John Valentin, the third third baseman in this package!

Really like this 2014 Panini Classics Carlton Fisk.  It seems much easier to deal with lack of logos when you can use a photo of a catcher in gear like this.  Though he played his time in Boston before I was even born, this picture is pretty much exactly how I picture Carlton.

Sometimes you just can't beat a good ol' fashioned Topps base card that fills a need, like this Reggie Jefferson from '97.  I really need to sit down and come up with a list of all the Red Sox I'm missing from the 1951 through 2015 Topps flagship sets...

I remember when Michael Bowden was a big name prospect with Boston.  I lost track of him since he was traded to the Cubs at the beginning of 2012, but it looks like he bounced around a bit and hasn't pitched in the Majors in a couple of years.

In closing, what was probably my favorite card of the PWE.  I really, really love the 1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes set.  The black borders and floating heads echo 1971 O-Pee-Chee a bit.  Just a great shot of Tiant's classic delivery on this one, and I love that they let the photo of the player extend beyond the upper border to give the card some pop.

Mark, another great package, thank you very much my friend!  You know I'll have some more Mets headed your way soon...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...