Wednesday, July 29, 2015

1995 Upper Deck Rules - A Case Study

1995 Upper Deck is one of my favorite baseball sets of the '90s.  Recently I opened up a retail pack that was so packed with star power and great photography that I just had to share it here.  12 glorious, full-bleed photos, let's see who's inside...

My one-per-pack Electric Diamond parallel is ESPN analyst John Kruk.  As this set goes, not the most interesting photograph, but a recognizable name nonetheless.

Even the portrait cards are very well done.

A nice Crime Dog/Lemke high-five captured on McGriff's card.  I wish Topps would use more out-of-the-ordinary photographs like this in their flagship set instead of saving them for photo variation SPs and sets like Stadium Club.

This might be my favorite card from this pack, as it caused me to stop and say "Wait, Darryl Strawberry played for the Giants?!?!".  Turns out that he did, for just 29 total games, in 1994.  This would have been right at the height of my childhood baseball fandom, yet somehow I never knew (or totally forgot).

Five recognizable names right out of the gate, finishing off with HOFer Greg Maddux.  I like this classic, well-framed shot of Greg's delivery.

Well, I never promised that they'd all be great cards.

No, you're not seeing double.  That's just mid-'90s collation for you, same exact card back-to-back (stuck together slightly in fact!).  Of course it had to be the least interesting card in the pack that I received two of...

A nice horizontal Expos card.  We're right back to some more recognizable names now; I remember when Cliff Floyd was kind of a big deal in my circle of childhood collecting friends.

Here's another nice portrait shot, of Red Sox fan favorite Ellis Burks from his time with the Rockies.

File this one under "so bad it's good".  That jersey doesn't look right at all, I'm thinking this is an (incomplete) airbrush job?  Also, what the hell is that on Jose's right hand?

Jeff Montgomery is the second high-five card in just this pack!

Even though I think the Star Rookie subset is one of the few missteps in an otherwise beautiful set, Jeter is probably the best one that you could land.

There you have it, a very solid pack of 1995 Upper Deck baseball!

9 comments:

The Junior Junkie said...

As sets go, this is one of the greats.

Tim B. said...

I agree with you, the photography and design of that set are top notch! Seeing the wrapper reminded me of those 'predictor' inserts and made me wish that there was something like that in today's hobby.

Commishbob said...

One of the best of the 90s for sure. I was out of the hobby at that point though. Someone posted a signed card out of that set on the Facebook baseball autographs page yesterday and I thought it was pretty cool looking.

Mark Kaz said...

I love this set, also! The '95 UD football set is every bit as good -- if you're into football, that is.

Anonymous said...

In 1995 I was boycotting MLB in my own small way, so I bought a hand-collated set of 1995 Topps (because it's Topps) and didn't buy any other cards. I own a grand total of 19 cards from this set. Given the raves everybody gives this set, I suppose I should do something about that.

Funny thing: Since I wasn't pissed at the minors, I have a complete set of 1995 Upper Deck Minor League.

Mark said...

1995 UD is by far my favorite Upper Deck set. There are some absolutely amazing photos, and the foil and slight black fade at the bottom does nothing but highlight the photo.

Hackenbush said...

Now there's a nice pack!

Adam Kaningher said...

If I opened that pack in 1995, I'd have been elated!

Fuji said...

Love the action shots in this set!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...