Thursday, July 2, 2015

Tallboys!

Dave H over at Wax Stain Rookie has been making some impressive headway on his 1964-65 Topps hockey collection lately. Enough so that the awesome cards he's been posting have inspired me to grab a few more on the cheap in recent weeks.  Today I've got a trio of well-loved tallboys from the set that I got at a bargain...

First up, the man who has won more Stanley Cups (nine) than anyone not in the NHL HOF!  Claude Provost was a key member of the powerhouse Canadiens teams from the late '50s through the '60s.  All told, he played in over 1,000 NHL games and over 120 NHL playoff games, all with Montreal.  Provost sadly passed away after suffering a heart attack at age 50.


Dave Balon enjoyed a 14-year career at the NHL level with a few teams, before retiring from the game due in large part to illness.  That illness, MS, was what led to his death at age 68 back in 2007.  He won a couple of Cups with the Habs as well.


Last, but certainly not least, a killer Denis DeJordy goaltender card.  He won a Stanley Cup back in 1961, and shared a Vezina Trophy later in the decade.  Goalie cards are typically my favorite vintage cards just because of the degree to which the equipment has evolved over the years.  I know I've probably said this more than once, but can you imagine standing in front of a Zdeno Chara or Alex Ovechkin slapshot dressed like this?

I won't be pursuing this set with vigor, at least not until I get through the handful of Topps sets before it as I work my way backwards.  Nonetheless, it was nice to make a small dent here on a low budget...

3 comments:

Greg Zakwin said...

sweet! love Tall Boys!

Hackenbush said...

I love the DeJordy. He's the first Blackhawks goalie I remember. I bet Anthony Rizzo wouldn't be too uncomfortable taking some throws with DeJordy's glove.

Pro Set Cards said...

Those are very impressive! I especially enjoy seeing a goalie card pop up into your collection. You definitely have me wanting to add a few more now that you've posted these ones. Good work as always Shane.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...