Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A Highly Objective Contest

A couple of weeks back Brian over at Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary hosted a nice, simple post-season baseball contest.  All you had to do was leave a comment indicating how many home runs would be hit in that evening's Blue Jays/Orioles contest, which team would hit more, and which player would hit the first.

I was one of three people to get two out of three categories correct, and Brian sent me a nice prize PWE as a result...

We'll start off with a set that's really grown on me, 2016 Topps Bunt.  Between Dimebox Nick's PWE and this one, I must be getting close to a Red Sox team set at this point.

New Bogaerts card!  Xander cooled off a bit in the second half of 2016 after a red hot start, and as a result fell just short of 200 hits for the second straight season.  I'll still gladly accept any and all of his cards!  He only just turned 24 after all, and I hope has many good seasons ahead as the shortstop for the Sox.

Henry Owens had a rough year for sure.  He made only 5 starts for Boston in spot situations, and went 0-2 with an ERA close to 7.00.  Yikes.

What Red Sox fan wouldn't love receiving this card in a surprise package?  A great photo of Teddy Ballgame that I don't recall having seen all that often.

Brian threw in a few other cards along with the Bunt, including this 2015 Topps Update release of utility infielder Josh Rutledge.  Pretty tough when you're the second guy on the utility player depth chart (behind Brock Holt)!

My first card of prospect Jagger Rusconi.  He swatted well below the Mendoza Line in A ball this year, so not sure how many sets we'll be seeing him included in going forward.

As much as I disliked the 2016 Topps flagship design, I think the empty white space they left on two corners actually works pretty well when it comes to the Chrome Refractors.

This David Ortiz was my first look in-hand at the Donruss Optic set.  I really like how this card looks.  So much so that I ran out and picked up a retail hanger pack the day after this PWE arrived.  It was a total bust, I hated all the cards, and was reminded why I don't spend much of my hobby budget on retail wax.  Oh well, I still like this Big Papi card.

Last, but certainly not least, a nice bat relic card of poor Bill Buckner.  It's nice that the Red Sox were able to win some World Series Championships while he was still alive so that he could put that whole thing to bed and get some closure.

Brian, thanks for the great cards.  My Twins supply is a little low at the moment but I actually managed to get a return PWE off to you in yesterday's mail, hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Bill Buckner--When Bad Things Happen to Good People.

Brian said...

The Buckner card was the relic included in one of those Fairfield re-packs. I was surprised to see it there, happy to pass it on to a Sox fan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...