Monday, October 24, 2016

Buyback Franken-set: I Love the '70s

I've had an appreciation for buybacks for some time now, but the thing that really got me kick-started on the buyback franken-set this year was a large lot of (97) buybacks that I won on eBay a while back.  It took me a couple of months to get through processing and posting those ten at a time here on the blog.  While I was doing that I was fortunate to win another, even larger lot; my single largest buyback purchase yet.  This one consisted of 113 different buybacks from 2015 Topps flagship/Update, at a price that worked out to 30 cents per.

I wish I could find buyback lots this size more frequently, but alas these are the only two "mega-lots" I've scored to date.  I've seen one or two other big lots like them, but not at a price point that interests me.  Anyway, for today's post I grabbed a small group of ten consecutive cards from the middle of this second big stack.  As it so happens, they are all from the '70s...

1979 Topps #653 - Warren Brusstar

A career relief pitcher, Warren Brusstar never got a single MLB start.  He did win a World Series with the Phillies in 1980 though!  He does not look very pleased to be featured on his very own baseball card here.  Unhappy Warren is a nice high number at 653 and thus makes the franken-set without contest.

1979 Topps #258 - Mike Phillips

Holy chewing tobacco!  I don't know much about infielder Mike Phillips but he sure could pack a cheek of chaw.  Based on my 2 minutes of crack research I'd say the highlight of his career may have come when he hit for the cycle with the Mets in the summer of 1976.  Without any competition for #258, Mike makes the franken-set as well, at least for the time being.

1978 Topps #28 - Ed Ott

1978 Topps is not exactly my favorite set of the decade, but I do like this Ed Ott for some odd reason.  Must be that awesome pinstripe jersey and bright yellow batting helmet.  Ed was part of a two-man platoon at catcher in 1979 when the Pirates won it all, and was a big contributor in the Fall Classic that year, swatting .333 with 3 RBIs.  No competition for slot 28, so Ed is in for now.

1973 Topps #431 - Gerry Moses

Interesting photograph featuring the aftermath of what looks like a pretty dirty play at the plate.  Gerry Moses actually came up with the Boston Red Sox in the '60s, but was dealt away along with Tony Conigliaro to the Angels and would then bounce around with six different franchises over the final five years of his career.  Interestingly, his first name seems to be spelled Jerry just about everywhere I look, yet it's Gerry on this card.  However you spell it, Moses makes the cut for card 431!

1979 Topps #235 - Steve Rogers

This '79 Steve Rogers also makes the set without any competition.  I'm really on a roll here with five brand new, uncontested additions to the franken-set to start this post.  Will I go a perfect ten for ten?  Steve Rogers was a 5-time All-Star and actually led the league in ERA in 1982.  He's arguably the best pitcher in Expos history as he played his entire 13-year career with Montreal.

1976 Topps #231 - Tom House

Tom House is the guy who caught Hank Aaron's record-breaking 715th home run in the Braves' bullpen which is kind of neat.  Unfortunately my new franken-set card streak comes to an end here though, as there's already a card #231 in the binder for Tom to compete with...

This one was a gift from Mark Hoyle when we met up a month or two ago in Providence.  While I don't have any personal connection to Tom House or Floyd Weaver (both retired before I was even born), I just plain like this card better than the '76 House.

You're outta here Tom!

1979 Topps #405 - Butch Wynegar

Butch Wynegar was a good, serviceable catcher for the Twins and Yankees from the mid-'70s through the early '80s, and was actually voted an All-Star in each of his first two seasons.  Looks like he's serving as a hitting instructor in AAA in the Pirates organization these days.  He's the only #405 buyback I've gotten my hands on so far, so he's in the franken-set.

1972 Topps #287 - Jim Hardin

Jim Hardin was a good, reliable arm for the powerhouse Orioles teams of the late '60/early '70s.  Sadly Hardin, who was an amateur pilot, died in an aviation accident in 1991.  1972 Topps buybacks seem to be maybe the toughest set of the '70s to come by, at least in my experience so far, so I'm happy that this one makes the cut and is included in the set for now.

1976 Topps #317 - John Candelaria

A great card here of a young John Candelaria.  As a matter of fact, I believe this is considered his rookie card (he was featured in the 1975 SSPC set, but not in '75 Topps).  I think this one is especially cool given that John tossed a no-hitter in 1976!  He makes the franken-set at slot 317, and will be a tough challenger for any future 317s I may acquire...

1970 Topps #489 - Eddie Kasko

Last buyback today also happens to be the lone Red Sox card of the group, and I'd imagine one of the better pulls (at least for me) out of this second large lot (haven't looked through all of them yet).  It is in pretty rough shape for a card from 1970, but that doesn't really bother me with buybacks for some reason.  Kasko was involved with the Red Sox in a number of capacities over the decades, and actually became a member of the Red Sox HOF back in 2010.  He's also in as far as the franken-set goes, facing no current competition for card #489.

By going 9 for 10 today in terms of new additions to the franken-set, I've now hit the significant milestone of 20% (well, if you round up from 19.5 anyway)!  If I have that kind of luck with the rest of this large lot I'll really be cookin'.

Franken-set Progress:  155/792 (20%)

2 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Probably not the kind of comment you're looking for but when I saw Tom House I thought:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wudovyyvKDU/maxresdefault.jpg

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Hey if you don't have a use for that House, I'll give him a good home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...