Sunday, November 10, 2019

Many Mannys & Some Stamps

A while back, before I got backlogged due to a busy work schedule and a couple of fun vacations, I received a nice bubble mailer of cards from John at Johnny's Trading Spot that I'm overdue in showcasing here.  Time for this great package to finally see the light of day here on the blog...

As the title of the post indicates, I got a nice injection of Manny Ramirez cards for my Boston Red Sox collection with this delivery.  Manny running...

...Manny posing...

...with a bat...

...looking at himself...

...and back to base-running.

It was really cool to take a tour through the early to mid-2000s with all these different Manny cards.



Every card in this post was new to me.


I'd say this one from Fleer Ultra is probably my favorite.  Love the shot of Ramirez admiring a blast.

Ditto!

There's no way that's Manny's signature, is it?  Interesting to say the least.  This injection of new ManRam cards brings my total up to 87 cards and counting of the slugger, though I have many more I just haven't added to my collection on The Trading Card Database yet.

Manny wasn't the only Ramirez that was found in the bubble mailer though, as I received a handful of Hanley cards as well.




Getting really close to completing a 2017 Donruss team set at this stage.

How about a couple of non-Ramirez Red Sox cards?  From the 2005 Upper Deck Flyball set second baseman Mark Bellhorn (mid-air!)...

...and reliever Keith Foulke.  I think these may have been inserts in the 2005 Upper Deck flagship set, but I'm not 100% sure.

We'll close out the standard Red Sox cards from this package with an SP Legendary Cuts Tom Yawkey.

There was one pretty cool oddball item tossed in the package alongside all these great Sox...

I'd never seen this set of postage stamps before.  Released in 1992, these are actually valid postage in St. Vincent and the Grenadines apparently.  Pretty cool!

There are a dozen stamps in the set, and these are the same size as a standard modern trading card.

The backs feature full career stats for all the subjects.  I won't provide commentary on them all, but here are the other eleven stamps from the set:











Some of the biggest names in baseball history in this cool little set.  What an awesome throw-in to accompany all those Boston cards.

Thanks for the awesome cards John!!!  Now I'm off to scan all the great cards in the package John sent me after this one.  I'll be back with those soon, in the meantime thanks as always for stopping by!

4 comments:

The Shlabotnik Report said...

If I remember correctly, St. Vincent and the Grenadines is one of those small countries which generates (or generated, anyway) a fair amount of revenue by printing up postage stamps of popular subjects; Athletes, Disney, Star Wars, etc.

Chris said...

I don't think I've seen the Upper Deck Flyball cards before. And I always thought it was neat that the HOF class of my birth year included a Red Sox. Too bad it was Yawkey and not a player :/

Fuji said...

I miss the days of watching Manny crushing baseballs. His little shenanigans were quite entertaining as well.

Nick said...

I have those stamps! Found the whole set at the local flea market for three bucks, I think. Definitely some of the weirder oddballs in my collection.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...