Thursday, September 25, 2008

Card of the Month - September 2008

1960 Topps - #55 - Bill Mazeroski

I've chosen this card as September's card of the month for a few reasons. First of all, 1960 Topps is my favorite set from the decade. What's not to love about this set? Horizontal cards, color and black and white photos of the player, multi-colored block lettering for the player name...this is one great set.

Secondly, with the post season fast approaching, what better time to commemorate the greatest World Series home run ever hit? Anyone who calls themself a baseball fan already knows of Mazeroski's walk-off home run in game 7 of the 1960 World Series. This is the only walk-off home run to decide a World Series game 7 to date (Joe Carter won the 1993 World Series for the Toronto Blue Jays with his game 6 walk-off), and best of all it prevented the New York Yankees from capturing yet another championship. What you may not know (I will admit that I didn't until writing this post) is that the 13-year-old who caught the ball allegedly traded it to Mazeroski for two cases of beer after the game. It now sits in Cooperstown.

Finally, and most importantly, this card symbolizes what I have come to love about the recent explosion of baseball card blogs over the last couple of years. Most of the blog owners and readers are incredibly generous, and it's resulted in a really great community for trading (and sometimes just giving). A while ago, a gentleman named Rob contacted me about a potential trade. A short while later, a package arrived in my mailbox containing a few 2007 Goudey base cards that I needed, the rest of the cards that I needed to complete my 1991-92 OPC Premier hockey set, and to my surprise, this Bill Mazeroski card! For someone who loves vintage cards it doesn't get much better than this, thank you Rob! Just an FYI, your package did not make it out until today (I can't conveniently send to Canada from work and it's been tough getting to the post office). This gift has inspired me to give away some cards myself, keep an eye out in the near future!

2 comments:

robbyt said...

" This is the only walk-off home run to end a World Series to date,"

Joe Carter is crushed.....

shoeboxlegends said...

Oh man, I can't believe I botched that one. I can't remember if I meant to write that it's the only walk off home run to end a game 7 in World Series history or if I just forgot about Carter's home run altogether at the time.

Thanks for catching that one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...