Thursday, September 15, 2011

Red Sox Collection - 1973 Topps Rico Petrocelli

As is evident from the complete lack of posts since Sunday, it's been another busy week here at Shoebox Legends headquarters. I've got a full-time job and a wife, house and dog to support. Those responsibilities alone leave me bereft of free time for cards for days on end at times, and there aren't even any kids in the mix! I don't know how you daily-blog-updaters do it! More power to you I guess.

I actually do have a free night tonight, but instead of devoting it to my hobby I'll be watching the Red Sox take on the Tampa Bay Rays (and hopefully not continue to choke the 2011 season away). At one point the Sox appeared shoe-ins for the 2011 MLB playoffs (9-game Wild Card lead on September 2nd), but absolutely terrible play over the last few weeks, combined with a hot Tampa Bay team, has the Rays nipping at the Red Sox heels. The Ray enter this 4-game series in Boston just 4 games back of the Sox for the AL Wild Card spot. The pitching match-ups for this series appear to favor Tampa Bay as well, at least on paper. It's not inconceivable that Tampa could take 3 of 4, pulling them within 2 games, or even sweep the series to tie up the Wild Card race (although I think this is unlikely).

Anyway, it seemed like an appropriate time to post an addition to my Red Sox collection that's been sitting in the draft folder for some time now, this 1973 Topps Rico Petrocelli:

The '73 Topps set has long been a favorite of mine. For quite some time though I've been focusing on completing the 1975 - 1990 Topps sets, so '73 is sadly under-represented in my collection. I couldn't pass on this nice graded example of one of my favorite old-time Red Sox players though, especially for just $7 and change.

I know I've said this before, but the backs in the 1973 set are some of my all-time favorites. I never knew that Rico liked to play the drums until I bought this card.

Anyway, we're rapidly approaching first pitch here, so I'll cut this one short. I do have some interesting posts in the works, and am off from work for 9 straight days beginning next Friday, so you should see a spike in activity soon. Thanks for reading and go Red Sox!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...