Thursday, August 20, 2015

Some '53s from '91

Today for your viewing pleasure I have the latest PWE to arrive from Brian over at Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary.  Once again, Brian provided a nice boost to my Red Sox collection with 10 new cards.  Half of the PWE was comprised of these 1991 Topps '53 Archives cards.  I had a ton of these as a kid, and I think they're a large part of why I enjoy the '53 Topps set so much to this day.

I don't have the original version of the Dom DiMaggio that led off the post, but I do have the original versions of these next three cards.  I posted about Ted Lepcio here all the way back in 2010.

I added the original '53 Bill Werle to my collection all the way back in 2008.  Man, I'm getting old...

George Kell is one I grabbed just last year.  Cool to get the "Archives" versions of these to compliment the older cards. 

If you collected the 1991 Archives cards then you'll recall that Topps took the liberty of creating a few cards that didn't exist in the original '53 set.  This Jimmy Piersall is one such card.  I like the "cards that never were" concept, I just wish Topps could have made these look hand-painted to match the originals.

Here's a nice '78 O-Pee-Chee home run leaders card.  I already had a copy of this one, but I'm 99% sure that the one Brian sent is a condition upgrade, as it's basically mint.

Mini Koji!

This Timeline Justin Masterson rookie is actually a gold parallel, which Brian was nice enough to point out with a note.

Brian was fortunate enough to attend this year's National Convention, and was generous enough to ship me two of the National-exclusive giveaway cards from the event!  First up is this Onyx Super Break Platinum National Edition 15 card.  What a mouthful.  Rafael is currently the second ranked prospect in Boston's system.  He plays third base though, and with Sandoval signed for a while I'm not sure how things will play out.

Finally, my very first card of the current #1 overall prospect in the Boston system, Yoan Moncada!  He was big news last off-season when Boston spent over $30 Million to sign him.  Yoan's still just 20 years old, so the jury is out on whether he'll live up to the hype, or even make the big league ball club for that matter.

Brian, thanks for the great cards!  I already shipped a PWE back to you and hope you enjoy that one!

1 comment:

Brian said...

The '78 O-pee-chee is literally pack fresh, as in I pulled it from a sealed pack a couple months ago.

that little note on the gold parallel was actually from the card shop, they put those little stickers on the penny sleeves so I just leave the cards in there if I'm planning to trade them - less risk of dinging the corners if I leave them in there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...