Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Johnny's Trading Spot Red Sox - Part 3

Starting to get a little backed up on trade packages here.  I just received a well-traveled envelope from Angus that I need to get to in fairly short order, and I have amazing packages of cards from Joe Shlabotnik and John Miller still to post about as well.  So, tonight let me finish off the balance of my last package from John at long last!

If you don't follow John's blog (you should!) you may not be aware that he picks up some amazing bulk hauls at card shows.  In fact, the cards in this package were actually the winnings from a contest I won a while back to guess how much he'd spent on one such large lot.

Well, I suspect I was the recipient of some Red Sox cards here that came from one such lot.  That's my guess anyway given the sheer number of 2000 Topps "Home Team Advantage" parallels I received here.

I love an obscure parallel, and in one fell swoop John took care of over 2/3 of a Red Sox team set here!

I received 11 of these in total, which leaves just 5 more to track down.

How did the Red Sox fare in 2000, their 100th season as a franchise?  Well, they finished 8 games over .500 at 85-77, but the Yankees were a couple of wins better and Boston missed the post-season.

For whatever reason this photograph looks nothing like the way I remember Trot Nixon.  If it weren't for the name on the jersey I'd swear they got the wrong player here.


Half a new Red Sox card is just as good as a whole new Red Sox card to me.

If the name Brad Baker doesn't ring a bell don't be too hard on yourself.  He wound up playing in as many Major League Baseball games as I have.

A nice pensive shot of Carl Everett here, showing off the 1999 All-Star Game shoulder patch.  It's visible on a few of these looking back over them, but most prevalent on Carl's card.

That's a wrap for 2000 Topps HTA.

There were a smattering of other assorted Red Sox in the package that I still haven't gotten to though, like this Leaf Limited Jeff Suppan.

Or this Donruss Zenith Johnny Damon.  I'm not knocking this one because I appreciate each and every new Sox card, but I can't imagine this is a design that many collectors really fell in love with?

Ah, much better!  It's amazing to see the contrast in brightness and overall visual appeal across this last pair of Damons.

New-to-me '90s Topps Gallery.

John sent such a great variety of Red Sox cards that there were many from my "dark ages" of collecting (roughly 1997-2007).  Sets I'd never seen before, or had no recollection of if I had, like this Fleer Genuine.

A nice-looking Diamond Kings card here.  Makes me wish Panini had a license for their present-day revival of this set.  End the Topps monopoly!

A couple of minor league cards here from the Trenton Thunder.  I enjoy most all minor league cards, but these are especially cool because I saw the Thunder play quite a few times against the Norwich Navigators AA team back in the day.  Obvious Budweiser sign there in the background.

The other Thunder card features Dernell Stenson, who met a tragic end.

Another release I'm not familiar with.  The folks at Pacific lost me a little with this one if I'm being brutally honest.

Andy Shibilo is another player who never made the show, but got some cardboard regardless.

Pretty sad story here as well with Josh Hancock, some depressing cards in this stack just by coincidence.

Sweet, Topps Total!  A Topps Total parallel no less, and from a time when you could actually buy these in packs, without a computer and an internet connection as a prerequisite.

I love a good oddball, and this package had a nice pair of Topps temporary tattoo "cards"!  HOFer Wade Boggs represents Boston on the first...

...and backstop Tony Armas on the other.  Awesome stuff.

This has been a scan-heavy post here, but we've finally reached the end.  With these added to my growing collection on The Trading Card Database, I'm up to 3,860 unique Red Sox cards and counting!  With the trade packages I still have to get to and the huge backlog of cards that I'm still shuffling over to that site from Zistle I'll be crossing the 4,000 card threshold any day.

John, thanks so much for the great contest win package.  I promise to get to your more recent package very soon here.  To everyone else, thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

What contest? I did a contest? JK, LOL. Glad you enjoyed. I'm sure if you ever make it to central FL, I have a few hundred monster boxes full of the mid 90-07 stuff your missing.

Fuji said...

Who doesn't appreciate some good old 1984 Topps Rub-downs? That set is awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...