Friday, May 29, 2015

First World Problems

I'm sure each of you has a method for processing incoming cards.  Thanks to my mild (or maybe not so mild) OCD, my process involves checking each card against my digital collection on Zistle to see whether I already have a copy.  If so, into the trade box.  If not, onto the scanning bed.  Scanned, cropped, saved into the appropriate directory, added to my collection on Zistle, then stored away.

Usually it's not too bad.  A lot of my purchases are singles from eBay, so just a couple of minutes for one of those.  Even a PWE can be banged out in 5-10 minutes.  The problem comes when something like this shows up in your mailbox.

Unexpected (though much appreciated!).  This is what was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday.  They're from Hackenbush at Can't Have Too Many Cards.  We've been reading each other's blogs and commenting for years and recently I sent him a few Cubs I had lying around.

I didn't expect anything in return, and certainly not this.  There are literally hundreds of cards here.  A few are doubles, but most aren't, and all of them are a perfect fit for my various collections.  Actually, there was a card in the package that describes the package itself quite well:

I was already backed up before this and I'm certainly backed up now.  First world problems.

While I get to scanning here's just one card to tide you over.  This is my first, and so far still only 1933 Tattoo Orbit card.  These things are like little works of art.  They came in one cent packs of gum, and I really like the design.

I picked this one up because it's a Boston Braves card, so it has local ties, and because it was dirt cheap.  I think that's because of the tear along the top and a pin hole.  It's a beauty to me though.

Random fact, Walter Berger was quite a slugger in his day.  In fact, he held the record for most home runs in a rookie season from 1930 all the way until 1987 (when Mark McGwire broke it).  It's still the top mark for an NL rookie to this day.

Alright, back to the scanner...

4 comments:

buckstorecards said...

I just added "Eye-bulgingly Enormous!" to my COMC inventory.

And since there's one left, so should someone else.

PS: Card #57 in the Pro Set Guinness Book of Records set.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I was just about to ask what set that card is from. I'd never heard of that set before, but it looks like a fun set! I left the frog card for someone else, but bought a couple of others.

Anonymous said...

...and the Walter Berger card is beautiful! I don't have anything from that set (or anything that old). Someday...

Hackenbush said...

I bought an unopened "wax" box of those Guinness cards at an antique mall. I pulled a cpmplete set and a bunch of dupes. I still even have a few unopened packs. I'm pretty sure I did a post on them but apparently my blog is as disorganized as my collection cause I can't locate it. Maybe I should do one this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...