Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Spring Fever & Retro Rickey

This weekend I received my first 2014 Topps Spring Fever card in the mail.  I have to say, these are busy, obnoxious and over-the-top, but I like them!  The card is much shinier than it comes across in the scan.  It was sent to me PWE-style by my friend and frequent trading partner Mark Kaz of This Way to the Clubhouse.

As per the unwritten rules of our ongoing PWE exchanges, Dustin had 8 other cards in the envelope with him.  This Dante Bichette marks my very first 2000 Upper Deck SP Authentic card.

I like these state/hometown parallels from last year's Bowman set.  This is actually the first one I've got in my Red Sox collection, but I'd love to pick up the others at some point.

From the bright and shiny Pedroia card to this black and white masterpiece, this delivery truly had a little bit of everything.  This is how you use a tightly cropped photo on a card.

Not many Red Sox inserts left for me from 2015 Topps Series 1 at this point.  This one features Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi.  I'm still in the market for an Eddie Vedder from this set if someone's got a spare kicking around...

Another new set for me, 1999 Upper Deck SPx.  I have a couple of these from later sets that I've received in trade, and they all have the common theme of the metallic element on the card.  Feels like something that would have been high end at the turn of the century.

What a great mini card, a pumped up David Ross and a good look at the tools of ignorance.

Here's one that I was really happy to find, Jed Lowrie's rookie from 2008 Topps Heritage.  Any PWE that results in me crossing a card off of my relatively small organized want list is a success.  While not a superstar, Jed has carved out a decent career for himself.  I always liked him with Boston and I'm glad to see he's still kicking around the league years later.

Finally, my pick for card of the package is this 2002 Donruss Originals Rickey Henderson.  I will gladly accept any Henderson Red Sox cards, as I've only got a couple.  The fact that this one pays homage to what is probably my single favorite set of the '80s is just the icing on the cake.  On top of all that, I found out when adding this to my collection on Zistle that it's actually a short print!  The best part?  Mark pulled this one for me from a dime box!

Mark, thanks again my friend!  This was a quick and easy post, so it jumped ahead of a couple of folks as far as trade packages go.  Angus, Jeff, Mark Hoyle, Tim B (and possibly some others), I haven't forgotten you and will have posts up for all of your packages as soon as I'm able to get caught up on scanning here!

1 comment:

Mark Kaz said...

As usual, my pleasure! Had no idea that Rickey was an SP. That's always a treat to find in a dime box!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...