Thursday, August 13, 2015

1959 Topps - Gaining Momentum Thanks to GCA

In yet another reminder that card collectors are some of the friendliest folks you'll meet, tonight I'm showing off some free 1959 Topps cards that I received recently from Greg, or GCA as he's known around the blogs.  He sent me these out of the blue.  He read here that I was working on a beat up '59 set, and decided to send them my way just because he's that kind of guy.

Now, before you harshly judge the condition of any of the cards Greg sent over, keep in mind that the Don Zimmer card you see above currently has a place in my set (plucked it from a dime box!).  Clearly I'm not worried about condition here.  My goal is just to assemble the cheapest '59 set that I can, condition be damned.  If there's enough card left that I can tell who the subject is and read the card number, I'll take it!

With that being said, let's check out the freebies from Greg!

Yes, this Haywood Sullivan was folded in half at one point during its existence.  Do I care?  Nope.  Actually, aside from the crease it's in pretty remarkable shape for its age. 

Greg included a print-out in his package that pointed out that there are three different versions of this Sullivan card in existence.  The differences between the three are very minute, and have to do with the copyright line on the card back.  I don't care about getting multiple versions for my set, but it would be interesting to find them for my Red Sox collection at some point.

What a great photograph of the man who would become the manager of the 1967 Impossible Dream Red Sox team.  Happy to have this one in my set.

For a really fascinating quick read on this guy, click here.  There certainly are some odd people in the world.

Ted Kazanski actually played his final game during the 1958 season, so this would be his "sunset" card.

I have to admit that until just a minute ago I had no idea that Jim Davenport was an All-Star and Gold Glove winner.

Best nickname of anyone in this envelope...Daddy Wags.

Don't know a thing about Walt Craddock, but how about that Athletics logo?  Great stuff.

I saved the best for last, and clearly I'm not the first collector to cherish this Luis Aparicio.  Fits right in and doesn't look out of place in my set binder in the least.

Thanks again Greg, I appreciate your generosity in helping out with my set, and will see what I can do about a return package...

3 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

Very well loved cards. Hope you can complete this

Mark Hoyle said...

There is a guy at the Mansfield show sometimes that has a box of 59's for a buck a piece

Brian said...

Nice! I have some duplicate '59s, I'll take a look see if they are on your list..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...