Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Nachos Pequeno (Just Two Cards)

I like buybacks. There...I said it.  I know, they're stupid.  Gimmicks.  Pointless.  I've heard it all.  With only one exception that comes to mind, I've basically seen them universally panned on the card blogs.  I can't explain why I like them, but I do.  If you have any you're looking to get rid of, I'm definitely interested in trading.

The recent uproar about these things stems from Allen & Ginter including buybacks in this year's product.  Kind of cheesy for a set that's been around only 10 years, and I don't enjoy them as much as the Topps buybacks from the past few years, but I do enjoy them still.  Yup.

So, when Chris from Nachos Grande offered up some of the contents of his recent case break of Allen & Ginter, I shamelessly claimed four buybacks off of the list.  Two of them are being re-routed to a collecting friend, here are the other two...

As a philosophy major in college, I definitely got a steady dose of Nietzsche.  Largely because of that, I've always thought this was a cool card.  I already have the regular version and its mini companion, so why not add another variation?  Let's face it, there aren't many opportunities to add guys named Friedrich to your baseball card collection.  Plus, killer mustache.

Here's the other buyback I claimed.  How can you not respect a guy who pitched in MLB games at age 49?  49!?!?!  The other reason I like this card?  For a guy who appeared in nearly every Topps flagship set from 1987 through 2012, this is his one and only Allen & Ginter card!

Chris included a couple of his custom 'Munnatawket' cards as well.  These are unbelievably well done, and are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing.

Thanks for the buybacks Chris!  Judge me if you will, but I hope to acquire some more of these...

2 comments:

BobWalkthePlank said...

I like buybacks for autos. The Donruss Recollection series and Topps Originals were awesome. I'm not a huge fan of Ginter so the buybacks in that set that interest me at all.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

I've not seen any buybacks that interest me so far. They are cool to look at on blogs, but I wouldn't go after them myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...