Friday, August 28, 2015

Taking Advantage of Combined Shipping

Quick post tonight.  Just 10 cards, but some great photos nonetheless.  I had picked up a pair of cards from a seller on Sportlots who charged the same flat rate to ship up to 10 cards.  Of course I did what any good collector would do and found 8 cards at the bare minimum price of 18 cents each to round out the order.

Let's see those 8 first...

Here's a great new addition to my small collection of cardboard that features the greatest trophy in sports, The Stanley Cup.  I will never get tired of cards showing players celebrating with this thing.  In this case, Bill Guerin's totally dated, mid-'90s championship T-shirt just takes it over the top.  Definitely one that was selected entirely for the photograph.

We'll get back to hockey in a minute, but first the 5 baseball cards that were a part of this lot.  I got my very first in-person look at 2015 Panini Diamond Kings, grabbing base cards of my two favorite current Red Sox players; Mookie Betts...

...and singles machine Xander Bogaerts.  I don't have much to add here that hasn't already been said.  It's hard for me to get past a lack of logos, but these cards are very well done aside from that.  I wish Panini could get an MLB license just for one season.  Upper Deck too.

I'm really enjoying the Topps Pro Debut minor league cards of late, which is why this 2012 Jonathan Singleton ended up in my cart.

The last two baseball cards were 2015 Topps Stadium Club set needs.  A nice post-delivery shot of Yankees pitcher Whitey Ford...

...and a killer black and white photograph of Frank Robinson from his days with Cincinnati.  I saw so much of this set on other blogs when it came out, yet somehow I am still finding gems like this that I don't recall having seen before.  Stadium Club really is the set that keeps on giving.

Alright, back to hockey.  I couldn't resist this awkward photograph of Eddie Belfour, which also gives a great look at his trademark eagle mask.  An interesting card, but it pales in comparison to this one, which would sit directly below Eddie here if you were to put this set in a binder:

I've wanted a copy of this one ever since I was tipped off to it by Brad of Coast to Posts.  Of all the great Stadium Club cards in my collection, this one's gotta be in the top 10.

That wraps up the 8 throw-ins, here are the two cards that kicked off the order to begin with:

I continue to plug away at the yellow parallels from 2009-10 Upper Deck Champ's hockey.  Inserted at just one-per-hobby-box, they're not the easiest cards to come across.  I scooped up HOFer Scott Niedermayer for $1.50, more than reasonable.

When I saw that the same seller had Al MacInnis here for an even $2, I was sold!  These two bring me to 17 out of the 100 available in the parallel set.  Who knows, maybe I'll get there someday after all...

A nice mix of cards there for about $5, not too shabby!

2 comments:

Brad said...

Good luck on your venture of chasing the Champs yellow border set - you'll get there with time, patience and a little money. It could be worse, you could be going after the animal variation parallels!

Hackenbush said...

I've fallen behind with your posts. It doesn't help that my stupid Mediacom internet has been on the fritz (tech coming on Monday). I do love the Irbe. I guess an exclusive license was supposed to be a good thing for the hobby. Has it been? Not in my book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...