Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Quarter Box Quartet - Satchel & Friends

My favorite thing to do on the rare (especially recently) trips I manage to make to my local card shop is to peruse the quarter boxes.  The cards I've plucked from the boxes have been building up and I've got a nice, healthy stack of them just waiting to be scanned.  I grabbed four at random, and they all happened to be retired baseball stars...

My favorite of this bunch by a long shot is this 1990 Swell Baseball Greats Satchel Paige.  Paige is one of my favorite players in the history of the game, and this is one fantastic oddball.  I believe the photograph is from Satchel's brief stint as pitching coach of the Atlanta Braves in 1969.  Also, those are some serious frames.

Another of my favorite players from baseball's past.  Who doesn't like Jackie Robinson?  I think this was an insert in the flagship 1996 Upper Deck set, but don't hold me to that.

The 1981 Topps Eddie Murray is an under-rated classic that was inexplicably missing from my collection for way too long.  When this mint copy turned up as I was thumbing through a stack of cards, I couldn't add it to my pile fast enough.  I don't know what's better, Satchel Paige's glasses or Eddie Murray's mutton chops?

Rounding out the quartet, a classic portrait shot of Bo Jackson from 1993 Topps.  Of course, this is the Topps Gold parallel, which is what sold me on the card.

A dollar well spent if you ask me!

1 comment:

Nick said...

That Satchel Paige was on my want list for years before I finally tracked one down a while back. I love how strange the sight of him in a Braves uni is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...