Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Christmas Cards! Cards from My Wife!

The "Golden Treasure" repack box that my parents gifted me on Christmas has been fun to rip through, and has provided me with content for a few posts here on the blog.  It was not the only card-related gift that I received this holiday season though.  For the first time ever, my wife hooked me up with a few cards for the holidays!

I received four cards in all, but she really did her homework to maximize my enjoyment with the four that she picked.  For example, she sought out this blog, saw my "Most Wanted" list in my sidebar, and then went and found this elusive David Ortiz mini from 2006 Allen & Ginter.  This is a card that had sat on that list for years, literally.  She could have stopped right there and it would have been a thoughtful gift...

...but she also read some of my recent posts, and learned that I was collecting the 2010 Allen & Ginter "Monsters of the Mesozoic" insert set.

"I didn't know there was such a thing as dinosaur cards, and thought they were really cool." she told me as I unwrapped this pair.  Just awesome.

Finally, she knocked the last remaining card off my "Most Wanted" list, as this pesky 1981 Fleer Red Sox team checklist was the last card standing between me and a completed team set.  She thought this one was interesting because the back of the card features the checklist for the Atlanta Braves, and we got to see a Braves game together while in Atlanta a couple of years back.  I'll always think of that trip, and that game, now whenever I see this card.

So yeah, in summary my wife is pretty great.  Not only is she supportive of what I'm sure she considers this silly hobby of mine, but she clearly went out of her way to embrace it and pick out a few very special Christmas gifts for me.  It sure was a nice holiday season for my collection this year!  Now I guess I need to find a few new cards to populate the "Most Wanted" list...

7 comments:

Angus said...

Great job by your wife!

Mark Hoyle said...

Your wife did great. Mine just gives me an eBay gift card

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys! Mark, got one of those from my parents and will be showing the spoils in a post soon ;-)

Marc said...

Your wife is awesome.

Section 36 said...

So great when it works out like that!

Nick said...

A wife who reads your blog? You picked a good one!

Fuji said...

Awesome stuff! It's always cool to receive cards from a loved one, but it's even more special when that person goes out of their way to research the gift.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...