Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Junk Wax from Captain Canuck

When Captain Canuck from Waxaholic sent along the Milan Lucic jersey card that I featured in my last post, he also included some junk wax, which is always appreciated. He included 3 packs altogether, but the 1991 Donruss Series 2 baseball pack was so absolutely awful that there's not one card I think is worthy of inclusion here! I'll show you some highlights from the other 2 packs instead...
First up is a jumbo pack of 1992-93 Pro Set hockey. This is actually the third one of these I've gotten from Brian, and at 31 cards a pack I'm probably 1/3 of the way towards a set by now. I'm embarrassed to admit that I call myself a hockey card collector yet I never owned any of these before I received these packs recently. 1992 was right smack in the middle of my first round of collecting, and I have enough 1990 and 1991 Pro Set cards to stretch from here to China, so I'm not sure how I missed the '92 release...

#63 - Geoff Sanderson - Hartford Whalers - Nice! I was really hoping for a Whaler. Geoff was my brother's favorite player when we were growing up, and I can distinctly remember how fast he was in a few of the Whalers games I was lucky enough to see in person.

#107 - Mark Fitzpatrick - New York Islanders - This certainly qualifies as a common, but I love the horizontal action shot. I've always like horizontal cards, and horizontal goalie cards even more so.

#139 - Mario Lemieux - Pittsburgh Penguins - Another horizontal shot of Mario Lemieux behind the Blackhawks' net (pretty easy to tell this was in Chicago because of the Chicago Tribune advertisement on the boards and the Blackhawks sock that you can see through the net).

#184 - Doug Gilmour - Toronto Maple Leafs - I think Doug has always been under-rated here in the States. Most of my friends who are just casual hockey fans don't consider him much of a star, but he was a great player. I submit as evidence his 1992-93 campaign, where he notched 127 points with the Toronto Maple Leafs yet still won the Selke trophy for best defensive forward.

#232 - Scott Niedermayer - New Jersey Devils - Rookie - Scott is probably one of the few players from this set who is still playing in the league today. There were actually two of these cards in the pack if anyone's interested. Don't everybody respond at once though, I know the demand for 1992 Pro Set Scott Niedermayer cards is through the roof.

#265 - Randy Carlyle - Winnipeg Jets - Milestone - Randy is probably the single player that I associate most with the Winnipeg Jets franchise. 1,000 career games is a pretty impressive mark.

Team Leader 9 of 15 - Nelson Emerson - St. Louis Blues - I believe these team leader cards are inserted one per jumbo pack. I'm a bit perplexed as to why Nelson Emerson was chosen to represent the St. Louis Blues rather than Brett Hull though...
The other pack included was a 1990 Fleer basketball pack. I don't really collect basketball at all, and never have, but that actually made opening this pack pretty enjoyable. I think these are the first basketball cards I've ever shown in a year and a half on this blog...

#3 - Moses Malone - Atlanta Hawks - I really like the photo on this card, those goggles are killer.

#96 - Orlando Woolridge - Los Angeles Lakers - I have no idea who this guy is, but the angle they shot this photo at makes him look like an absolute giant.

#130 - Kenny Walker - New York Knicks - Best haircut in the pack, hands down...

#144 - Rick Mahorn - Philadelphia 76ers - I scanned this one because of Larry lurking in the background.

All Star #2 of 12 - Larry Bird - Boston Celtics - Finally, the best card in the pack and the only one not going onto my trade list. As a Boston sports fan, I was pretty psyched to pull this insert of Larry Legend.
Thanks for the packs Brian, much appreciated!

3 comments:

Matt Runyon said...

The good Captain's wax packs are always good to get.

Captain Canuck said...

you're welcome bud...

Anonymous said...

Cool pack...I love the Niedermayer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...