Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pack Rip - 2009 Topps Heritage Buyback

Topps has pretty much lost me when it comes to Heritage. A couple of years ago when I first got back into collecting I thought it was the greatest thing ever, but after two hobby boxes and some odd packs of '07 Heritage I was still so many short prints away from completing a set that I became discouraged. Except for the occassional pack here and there I try to ignore this product, as much as I like it. I know there are quite a few others that feel the same way.

That being said, 1960 Topps is one of my all time favorite sets, so when I saw this buyback card on eBay for under $2 I couldn't resist. I wasn't exactly expecting a Mickey Mantle or Hank Aaron given that you can basically see right through the wrapper, but I was pleasantly surprised to pull this...

Vada Pinson isn't exactly a superstar in most people's minds, but he had a great and lengthy career in the majors. He lasted 18 years and led the National League in hits twice, doubles twice and triples twice. His 2,757 career hits are the most of any eligible player not in the Hall of Fame.

I have to say though, part of me wishes I just picked up a standard '60 Topps issue card of Vinson. I'm not sure I like this trend of Topps branding their original cards with a big foil logo. What's your opinion? Are buyback cards a good way to keep people interested in older cards and the history of collecting, or are perfectly good vintage cards being ruined? I have to say that I like what Upper Deck did with their recent Goudey buybacks much better. Just include the vintage card and skip the foil stamp...

3 comments:

dayf said...

Vada Pinson! With a non-intrusive foil stamp! Nice!

To me, a Vintage is a Vintage. A big ugly foil stamp from 2009 adds a little character just like some kid drawing a mustache on it in 1963.

night owl said...

I could do without the foil stamp. If I could found a way to burn it off there without killing the card, I'd do it.

And that Pinson card is the best buy-back I've seen lately.

Twitch said...

As long as the stamp isn't intrusive, it's acceptable I guess. I don't know how to deal with it if I'm trying to complete the set or something though.

Congrats on getting a good player, btw. That's easily the best Heritage buyback I've ever seen.

Word Verification: factis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...