Monday, August 17, 2009

Pack Rip - 2006-07 In the Game Heroes & Prospects

Even though I'm trying to see just how long I can go without spending money on cards, I still get the urge to rip open a pack every so often. When this happens I rely on the stack of packs that have been sitting on my shelf collecting dust for a while. I usually try to keep 10-20 misc. unopened packs for a rainy day, but the stack is dwindling the longer my card-buying drought continues. Anyway, a recent box break by Captain Canuck got me thinking about the In the Game line of hockey cards. I happened to have an odd pack of 06-07 In the Game Heroes & Prospects lying on the shelf, and figured it was a good time to rip it open. I bought a hobby box of this stuff probably a year or so ago because it was cheap enough at around $30 and I believe it had a guaranteed auto. I opened all the packs except this one at the time. Let's see what we've got...
#106 - Jamie McGinn - I don't usually go for minor league or prospect sets when it comes to baseball cards, but with hockey I don't mind. Jamie was drafted by the San Jose Sharks in the second round of the 2006 entry draft, and saw his first NHL action last season, appearing in 35 games. I'm not sure if he's going to play a role in the teams 2009-10 season or not...

#136 - Phil Kessel - Here's a name most NHL fans should recognize instantly. Phil led the Bruins in scoring last year, despite being just 21 years old. He is without a doubt the largest looming question mark with respect to the Bruins off-season moves this year. The B's don't seem to have the cap room to sign the young scorer, and I've heard rumors that they're shopping him around to some West coast teams. It would hurt to see Kessel go but I am glad that the Bruins locked up David Krejci first.

#4 - Peter Stastny - Here's one of the "Heroes" cards. I always think of Peter as a Quebec Nordique, but this card is cool nonetheless.

#CC-01 - Frederic Cassivi - Calder Cup Champions - I don't remember pulling any of these inserts when I opened my wax box, but then again that was a while ago. I like the design of the base cards much better. It looks like Frederic made a few scattered appearances in the NHL, but was mostly a career AHL player.

WHL Filler Card - One thing I appreciated about this set is that the cardboard filler cards were actually fun to collect, as each one depicts a league or team logo. This one's for the Western Hockey League, which I have to admit I'd never heard of before pulling this card.

#16 - Tim Thomas - Great finish to the pack, your 2008-09 Vezina Trophy Winner! Two current Bruins in a five card pack, couldn't ask for much more than that.
All in all this is a great looking set at a reasonable price. I'm going to have to find the rest of the cards from my box break and see just how far off I am from completing this one...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...