Monday, September 6, 2010

Collecting Yaz - 1976 Topps

A few months back I decided that I was going to collect Carl Yastrzemski, and showed off my first acquisition, a 1967 Topps. It's hard to believe that was all the way back in May, and although I've picked up a few since then I haven't posted a single one. Time to play catch up. The second card in my Yaz collection is from the 1976 Topps set:

This has always been one of my favorite Yastrzemski cards, and it's easy to see why it won best Yaz card of the 70's in a poll run by Night Owl. First of all, the photo is fantastic. I have no proof of this but every time I look at the card I imagine Yaz just crushed one around Pesky's pole and into the right field seats at Fenway Park.

On top of that, 1976 Topps is a very under-rated set. It may not have the pop of the 1972 or 1975 designs, but it's pretty solid in its own right and is better than the last 3 designs from the 70's that came after it. The red and yellow used in the border and on the bottom of the card really compliment the red in Yaz's jersey and the yellow in the hand rails depicted in the crowd behind him.

This card ranks right up there with the best from the decade in my opinion, and I'm happy to add it to my collection.

Yastrzemski Collection

1967 Topps

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...