Monday, September 5, 2016

Boston Braves MVP

Just a quick one tonight, featuring the latest 1949 Bowman to join my collection, third baseman Bob Elliott of the Boston Braves.  I picked this one up simply due to my love of the early Bowman baseball releases, and because it's always nice to add some Braves to my Boston sports collection.

I confess that I wasn't overly familiar with Bob Elliott as a player at the time, but after acquiring the card I learned that he was actually one of the premier third basemen in the game throughout the 1940s.  Bob was elected an All-Star an impressive 7 times during the 11 year span between 1941 and 1951.  In 1947 he was actually named MVP of the National League!

The following year Elliott was a major factor in the Braves winning the pennant.  While they lost the World Series in six games to the Indians, Bob was certainly not to blame.  He launched two home runs in game 5 and also went 3 for 3 in the game 6 loss.

I can't explain the allure of cards like this that were printed up decades before I ever took my first breath, but I know a lot of you out there are drawn to the same thing.  In any event, I feel fortunate to have added this beautiful example of an NL MVP to my collection for just a few bucks!

1 comment:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Nice Brave! Free it from its prison.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...