Monday, October 12, 2020

Three from COMC

Remember when you could buy cards on COMC.com, ask to have them shipped, and receive them in less than 6 months?  Yeah, times were great back then.  Let's take a look at three cards I picked up back when that was a thing...

I'm a sucker for floating heads on my cardboard, so when this 1962 Topps '61 NL ERA Leaders card popped up in one of my searches at a steal of a price, I was essentially powerless to refuse it.  Worth the paltry sum that I paid for Spahn's floating head alone!

Here's the back, in case you want to do a deep dive on some of the other names much further down the list.  Too bad Bob Gibson and Sandy Koufax just missed getting their floating heads on the front of this one.  Then again, had they graced the front I probably would have had to shell out more for the card I suppose...

Next up is Jim Neilson, from the iconic 1971-72 Topps hockey set.  It's really inexcusable that it's taking me so damn long to put this set to bed, but it just never seems to be my top priority at any given time.  Perhaps I'm turned off by the fact that I'm still missing Ken Dryden and Bobby Orr, two of the bigger cards in the set.  With Neilson in hand though, and more accurately in binder, I'm now over 70% of the way there!

Here's the back, featuring a cartoon that I suppose might offend some folks today.

Last card in the trio, a beautiful Cognac Diamond Anniversary parallel of the Tom Seaver legends card from 2011 Topps.  This was maybe the best Topps set of the 2010s if you ask me, and these parallels are a big part of the reason why.  I must really like this one too, because I already had a copy prior to scanning this one.  A card so nice, I bought it twice!

That's all for now, back when I have more time.  Thanks as always for stopping by!

6 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

My only pre-1980 hockey card is Neilson. As a Golden Seal though.

Nick said...

My COMC cart has about 10 months' worth of cards in it right now. It's gonna be a heck of a party when (if?) they get here.

SumoMenkoMan said...

That Neilson card back reminds me when times were different. Nice cards!

Jay said...

Incredible floating head card. Instantly added to my want list. Thanks for posting!

defgav said...

I recently started a vintage frankenset (no Topps flagship baseball allowed) so even though I don't really collect hockey much, I can fit some of those great designs into my collection. And you already know I'm nuts about those 2011 cognac parallels! I think I need that Seaver, if you'd be looking to trade your double.

Fuji said...

I really like the bubble letters of the 1971-72 Topps hockey design. As for COMC... I made my last purchase on their site back on August 1st. Requested shipment immediately afterwards and still haven't received my cards. It's suppose to be here in early November, but I'll believe it when they're in front of me. It's a shame, since there was a time when (I'd say) 25% of my card purchases were made on that site.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...