Saturday, October 31, 2020

Three from COMC - '54s!

As I mentioned in a previous post, last Saturday I finally received my COMC order that I requested shipment of back in the first week of June.  I was beginning to think I'd never see the cards, so I'm relieved to have these in hand at last.

The day sort of got ahead of me today thanks to a long afternoon nap, but let's spend a couple of minutes looking at a sweet trio of '54 Bowmans that were included in the package...

Karl Drews of the Phillies is up first.  I didn't pick this up for any particular reason other than the fact that it was cheap.  As far as 1954 releases go, I like the Bowman effort better than Topps', so I'm sort of half-heartedly collecting the set.

Drews was an imposing 6'4" presence on the mound over an impressive 21 seasons of professional baseball.  Sadly, he died not long after retiring, at age 43, when he was struck by a drunk driver while trying to flag down a passing car after his own had broken down.

Next up, an interesting facial expression from Sherm Lollar.  Lollar was a very under-rated 9x All-Star and 2x World Series champion backstop.  There are some that make an argument that he should be considered for enshrinement maybe.  I'm not sure I'd go that far personally, but what do I know, I never saw the man play in person.  

This card's a little off-center, but it's a great example of the vibrant color that makes this release so enjoyable to me.

Karl Drews may have been an imposing force on the mound at 6'4", but Bob Rush was every bit as tall as he was.  You can really get a sense for Rush's extended frame on this card.  Strange Cubs uniform here with the red piping below CHICAGO.  Just totally random chance that I ended up with two of the taller hurlers from this age among this grouping of three cards.

This trio puts me at 41 cards and counting now from this release, which is much better progress than I thought I'd be making at this stage given that I don't prioritize picking these up as often as I probably should.  With one or two exceptions, I don't think I've paid more than a dollar or two for any of them, either.  With just 224 cards in the set I'm quickly closing in on 20% complete, so who knows, maybe I will get there someday.

Thanks as always for stopping by, and enjoy your Saturday night!

6 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

Rush does look tall.

gregory said...

AN afternoon nap and vintage baseball cards? Pretty good Saturday you had there!

Nick said...

I'm glad your COMC order finally showed up! I just put in for my shipment, expected shipping date is in early February...

Shlabotnik Report said...

I've been holding off on my COMC order myself... I'm in no rush since I've been spending much of the past few months organizing and going through the backlog of cards which I acquired and never really worked into my collection to start with.

I'm playing Statis-Pro with the 1959 season and getting a better appreciation of guys like Sherm Lollar. I don't know much about the other two, but I'm thinking I should do more cheap vintage shopping before I do place my COMC shipment order.

Fuji said...

I've heard Lollar's name... but never knew he was a 9x All-Star. Very impressive.

Billy Kingsley said...

It looks like the photographer got Loller's attention by stomping on his foot. That's a great card for the wrong reason, haha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...