Saturday, December 21, 2019

A Football Card Experiment - Game 15 - The Bills

In an attempt to increase the size of my very small football card collection, I'm picking up and featuring one new card for each of the Patriots' 16 regular season games this year.

The Patriots are currently squaring off against the Bills in a Week 16 match-up that actually has potential playoff implications, which is cool.  I'll be catching the highlights later though, as I'm attending a Christmas sing-along at a bar with my wife and some friends.

For this week's football card, I've got a pretty awesome piece of Bills cardboard to show!

This one just struck me as I was picking out cards for this project a while back.  I love the simplicity of the design, the horizontal layout and of course, that fantastic helmet!

As for the subject, Marlin Briscoe played both quarterback and wide receiver, and was actually the first black starting quarterback in American football with Denver in 1968.  Briscoe is a two-time Super Bowl winner and member of the College Football HOF!

The back is nice enough, though not quite as appealing as the design on the front in this 1972 Topps release.  The write-up makes reference to Briscoe's switch from quarterback to wide out.

That's your football card for this week.  Just one more to go in this experiment.  As enjoyable as it's been, I have to admit I'm anxious for it to come to a close as I've had a good enough dose of football cardboard this fall/winter.

Hope everyone is enjoying the bonus Saturday NFL action today.  Thanks as always for stopping by!

2 comments:

gregory said...

Cool design and photo, for sure. I wonder if Topps drew inspiration from this card as they were working on their 1985 football design.

Fuji said...

Very cool. The Jackie Robinson of AFL QB's.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...