Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Columbus Day Card Show - Rest of the Baseball

It's been a few weeks since I made it to a decent-sized card show up in Massachusetts on Columbus Day.  So far I've shown off twenty dollar box singles, and another twenty bucks worth of random pick-ups.  Today let's get through the remainder of my baseball card haul from this event...

From the dollar box that I featured many of the previous cards from, I snagged a few more '60s singles.  This Woody Held just spoke to me for some reason.  A great example from the beautiful 1964 set.

After that I went on a small run of adding '63 Topps singles to my stack.  I don't have a ton from this release, and there were some solid semi-stars available, like MVP Zoilo Versalles.

How about a "Bullet" Bob Turley?  Not a fan of the blacked-out cap here, but at least there's some bunting hanging in the background to offset that just a bit.  Not his finest looking card by any stretch of the imagination, but for a buck I couldn't leave it behind either.

The reason I snagged this one should be obvious...Houston Colt .45s card.  Simple as that.  I'll pick up any card from this team's short-lived tenure in this kind of shape for a dollar.

I tried to avoid players without hats as I was building my stack, but I happily made an exception for the great Dick Williams.  Filling in this gap in my vintage Red Sox collection for a dollar was easily one of the more satisfying overall pick-ups of the entire show for me.

Great Dallas Green here.  I was drawn to this based on his stoic look, and that killer stadium background.

See previous comments about Houston Colt .45s.  Actually, I wonder where I stand on a team set at this point?

Last '63 from the show.  This one was 100% about that gloriously large Topps All-Star Rookie trophy.  I was in the zone grabbing '63s at this point, and that was all it took for me to throw this one on my pile.

From the same seller with the dollar boxes, I grabbed this Vada Pinson for my 1959 Topps set build after a quick glance at my phone showed me I needed it.  I think I shelled out $3 for this one, but it's in pristine shape and I want to keep the tremendous progress I've made on this set in 2019 going.  Vada is already in the set binder, which is well past 50% complete now.

I picked up this '65 Jay Ritchie, also with a $3 price tag, because I really want to make an effort to finish some vintage Red Sox team sets once and for all here.  This card is a tougher high number, so I thought the price was fair.  I've got a couple other high number Sox from this release in my cart on COMC, hoping to pull the trigger on those soon to get even closer on this team set.

The last two cards actually required me to shell out $5 a piece.  This first one I think I may have overpaid a bit for, but then again the vendor cut me a deal based on quantity so it probably didn't really set me back $5 in the end.  At the time I just wasn't aware how many singles from the 1953 Topps set I'd be able to grab in similar condition for around half this price.

I certainly don't regret the pick-up though.  I've been making amazing progress in my second run at this set since selling the bulk of my graded examples off a few months back.  Was great to be able to crawl one card closer thanks to this show.

Like all of the examples I've grabbed from this set in recent months, this one has a nice back too.

Here's my final baseball card from the show.  I absolutely love the 1972 Topps set, but until recently never really prioritized it that highly among my many, many collecting interests.  I'm still more focused on the '50s, but this is one '70s team set that I'd absolutely love to finish in the near future.

This Danny Cater is from the brutal high series, which anyone who's attempted to collect this set knows can be brutal.  So brutal that I didn't bat an eye at shelling out $5 for this card, which would otherwise be considered a common.

Here's a look at the clean back, with that nice high number!

So, that's a wrap on my cards from that show, at least for the baseball card pick-ups anyway.  I have one more post to go to finish off my haul overall, which will contain basketball cards of all things!  Will try to get that one up before the end of the year here.

Until then, thanks as always for stopping by!

4 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Whenever you feel like swapping vintage jlmk.(and send me a list for whatever set your building). I should have plenty of 63's

Nick said...

'63 Rookie Cups are the best Rookie Cups! Also, from what I've seen at shows, $5 for a '72 high-number is a pretty darn good deal.

Fuji said...

So what do you think? Is Zoilo Versalles the least famous MLB MVP of all-time?

The Shlabotnik Report said...

Al Jackson was a pretty good pitcher on some awful Mets teams, and that's a nice card of him to boot.

I've been picking up nice cards of Colt .45's as well lately. No real plans, just can't resist 'em.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...