Friday, December 27, 2019

COMC Black Friday 2019 Countdown - Part 2 - The Top 25!

Not counting buybacks, I plucked 55 singles for myself during this year's Black Friday/Cyber Monday promotion at COMC.  I thought it would be fun to feature my cards in a countdown fashion.  A week ago I featured cards 55 through 26, and today I've got my top 25 purchases to show off.

Let's get right to it and see what kind of randomness I discovered and promptly added to my collection over the course of that weekend...

#25 - 1985 Leaf Rollie Fingers - $.51

Recently I was reminded just how much I enjoy the 1985 Leaf baseball set, specifically that green Leaf logo.  I decided to grab at least one new HOFer from the set during the sale, and Rollie Fingers here was the lowest hanging fruit in mint condition at 51 cents.  That mustache is worth 51 cents alone!  A great card to kick off today's proceedings.

#24 - 1971 O-Pee-Chee Lee May - $.56

Next up we have the second and final '71 O-Pee-Chee card from the order.  Again, not much of an explanation here other than I really enjoy this set and this card was available cheaply.  Lee was a legit offensive threat during this era, and could be counted on to swat 30-40 home runs and drive in roughly 100 a year.  Of course, with this O-Pee-Chee set...

...it's all about the backs.  Look at that floating head smile!  I actually wish I'd grabbed more from this set in retrospect.  Maybe in my next order...

#23 - 2007 Goudey Jim Rice - $1.88

See comments in previous post about how brutal this 2007 Goudey set from Upper Deck has been.  I got so fed up with waiting literally years to find a copy of this short print for a buck or less before finally deciding this year that I was probably never going to locate it for less than the $1.88 it was available for during the sale.  A prime example of why I don't consider myself a set collector these days, yet in this case I'm so close I can't give up now after all these years.

#22 - 1953 Topps Ed Yuhas - $2.65

On the other hand, and just to be a contrarian, I'm loving taking another stab at 1953 Topps!  If you look closely you can see that this Ed Yuhas has a crease straight across the card at about the bill of Ed's cap.  A beautiful looking card despite this flaw, and one I'm happy to add to my set build for the paltry sum of $2.65.  65 cards and counting now as far as that pursuit goes!

You can see the crease again here, but otherwise a clean back!

#21 - 2018 Topps Chrome Prism Refractor Rafael Devers RC - $5.44

I'll warn you now, this isn't the last you'll see of young Red Sox star Rafael Devers in today's post.  I've really been looking to build a nice starter collection of his cards over the past year.  Given that he just recorded a .311/ 32 HR/ 115 RBI stat line in 2019, leading the American League in doubles and total bases while receiving some MVP votes in just his age 22 season, I don't expect prices to remain reasonable for long.

His Topps Chrome rookie card, and it's various parallels, are great targets in the $5 to $10 price range, and I happily snagged my first one with this Prism Refractor.

#20 - 1954 Topps Sid Hudson - $1.44

Just cracking the top 20 is this 1954 Topps Sid Hudson.  I think I placed this one so high on the list mostly because I'm sorely lacking good 1954 Topps representation in my collection.  Since vintage baseball sort of ended up being the unofficial theme of this blog in 2019 it felt great to make at least a small bit of progress on a set I otherwise virtually ignored all year.

Great back too, like so many '50s cards.

#19 - 1994 Topps Pre-Production Nolan Ryan - $.65

In yesterday's post I showed a Carlos Quintana 1994 Topps Pre-Production card, and today I've got the Nolan Ryan.  I was drawn to this one because I love the alternate photograph, which looked so foreign to me on this design having never encountered this card previously.  At 65 cents I snatched it up immediately for my modest Nolan Ryan collection.

#18 - 1953 Topps Virgil Stallcup - $2.36

Yep, another 1953 Topps card, and this one is crease-free and was had for less than $2.50!  Virgil Stallcup got just a single at-bat in 1953, the final appearance of his MLB career.  Not exactly a stud as far as the checklist goes, but this one is in fantastic shape and I felt like it was a total bargain for my set build.

Clean back again.  66 and counting now!

#17 - 2007 Goudey Alan Trammell - $2.25

Alright, this card is potentially huge.  I say that because I think it officially marks the end of the 2007 Goudey set for me!  Only problem is, I'm still missing Carlton Fisk in my collection on The Trading Card Database.  That most likely means I have it and it's in one of the few remaining "move from Zistle to TCDB" boxes I'm still processing through.  I guess I'll save the full-on celebration for if and when I locate that Fisk.

#16 - 2011 Topps Chrome Atomic Refractor Roy Halladay - $2.41

It's getting brutally difficult now to find the last remaining 2011 Topps Chrome Atomic Refractors I need for my set build.  For that reason I decided to finally grab this Roy Halladay that I'd been staring at for many months.  Arguably my best card of the first ballot HOFer who tragically passed at age 40.

197 cards down now in this set quest, 23 to go.  I hate to say it but I question whether I'll ever get there.  For example, I've never even seen an Andrew McCutchen with my own two eyes if you can believe that.  Sigh...

#15 - 1959 Topps Mike Garcia - $2.15

Another nice high-number addition to my 1959 Topps set build here at #15 in the countdown.  As I mentioned before, I decided to target a few high numbers specifically during the sale just because they're so tough.  It's really satisfying adding these to the binder, even if they're located on sparsely populated sheets at the moment.

#14 - 2013-14 Panini National Treasures Brendan Shanahan - $2.50

I run across fewer and fewer Hartford Whalers cards I still need on the site, particularly from the 21st century.  I was really excited to bring home this super thick Brendan Shanahan base card from the high-end National Treasures release put out by Panini.  This card is numbered to /199 and is about as thick as an average pack of cards is.  Not the sort of thing I'd put a huge premium on, but a fun way to climb the ranks as far as that team collection goes for just a couple of bucks.

#13 - 1983 Fleer Cal Ripken Jr - $1.32

I mentioned in my last post how one of the things I worked at during the sale was bolstering my Cal Ripken Jr collection.  Well, the crowning achievement on that front during the sale was this second-year Fleer release, in great shape for $1.32.  Having the standard rookie card trifecta complete (though I'd still like to add an '82 Fleer in a PSA 9 as well), it made sense to pick up a second-year Cal.  Very happy with this one, certainly deserving of a spot in the top 15 of the countdown.

#12 - 1955 Topps Frank Baumholtz - $2.05

I added just one card to my 1955 Topps set pursuit during the sale, but it was cool in that it was a high-number card.

In fact, this is the highest-number '55 in my set build so far.  These are surprisingly pricey, and you can see in the scan of the back here that the only reason I could bring home this Frank Baumholtz at the price I did is that touched upper left corner.

#11 - 2018 Bowman Sky Blue Rafael Devers RC - $3.95

Yep, it's Devers again!  I'm a sucker for a good serial-numbered card, and this Sky Blue parallel of his classic Bowman rookie card was a solid pick-up.  At less than $4 I would have grabbed a couple more of these to hold on to, but this was the only copy available.  Another decent notch in my Devers belt.

#10 - 1972 Topps Bob Burda - $6.01

I mentioned in the previous post that 1972 Topps was a focus for me during the weekend.  I really adore this set, and decided that it's unacceptable that I've made such little progress towards at least tracking down all the Red Sox cards on the checklist.  Just like I did with 1959 Topps, I prioritized the tougher high numbers for this release over the course of the sale.  Not much more to say about this one; box checked!

#9 - 1953 Topps Forrest Main - $2.65

Here's the final '53 Topps card I plucked from the site during the sale for my set build.  I guess I ranked this one in the top 10 because it features a man named Forrest in front of a wooden fence.  I'm loving that I continue to find needs for this set in this condition for less than $3, though I think I've nearly tapped that well at about 1/4 of the way through the set here.

I'll have some heavier lifting from here on out, but I'm still enjoying the pursuit.

#8 - 2019 Topps Holiday (Variation) Rafael Devers - $1.75

I really, really liked the look of the Topps Holiday release this year.  I thought these looked like such a festive and fun riff on the base set when I saw them posted around the blogs weeks ago.  Problem is, I never go to Wal-Mart.  I mean never.  Haven't set foot in one in probably five years or longer.  I knew I wanted to grab at least a card or two from the release on COMC to fill the void, and was ecstatic when I found this Christmas tree variation of Rafael Devers' card for less than $2.  What a fun holiday card!

#7 - 1959 Topps Jim Perry - $3.75

Here's the final '59 Topps card I grabbed, yet another high number with Indians hurler Jim Perry.  I paid more for this one than any of my other '59s from the sale, but Jim had a very successful career that included twice leading the league in wins, as well as multiple All-Star selections and even a Cy Young Award.  I've still got a long journey ahead, but I'm determined to get there with 1959 Topps someday!

#6 - 1972 Topps Doug Griffin - $5.25

Truth be told, these top six cards could really come in any order.  I think the final half dozen stand a cut above the rest for me, starting with this awesome (high number) '72 Doug Griffin.  A Red Sox need, short-printed, from one of the best designs of the '70s, that features palm trees and the Topps All-Star Rookie Trophy?  How did it take me this long to finally pick up a copy of this gem?

#5 - 2018 Topps Chrome Pink Refractor Rafael Devers RC - $6.50

Here's what I deemed my best Rafael Devers pick-up of the weekend.  I'm a total sucker for Topps Chrome Pink Refractors period, so I felt comfortable shelling out $6.50 for this rookie card parallel.  Yes, I'll admit I'm a Red Sox homer, but I'm telling you if this kid continues to play like he did last year I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being impossible to find a copy of this card for ten times this amount a couple of years from now!  If I'm wrong, it's not like I broke the bank at $6.50.

#4 - 2013-14 Panini Select Red Prizm Brendan Shanahan - $4.75

This card is way cooler (hence ranked way higher) than the National Treasures Shanahan above.  I've long admired this Red Prizm parallel from Select, which I think was given out as an exclusive at a Canadian card show.  Problem is, with just 35 copies in existence they're rare and pricey.  I'd considered making an offer for another copy on COMC a couple of times over the years, but it had a glaring condition defect and was more expensive than this one ended up being to boot.  When this copy became available for less than $5 during the sale I snatched it immediately.

#3 - 1966 Topps Harmon Killebrew PSA 2.5 - $8.50

I purchased just a single graded card during the course of the promotion, and it was this 1966 Topps Harmon Killebrew.  I wish I had a great backstory about this addition, but the reality is I was just searching the 1960s inventory, filtered to show HOFers only, and stumbled across it.  To me it seems almost criminally under-graded (the back is as clean as the front), and certainly in "I'll never need to upgrade it" condition for my collection.

Killebrew is perhaps the most under-rated member of the 500 HR club in my opinion, largely due to the market he played in, and I tend to ignore him in my collecting as well which is a shame.  I was happy to remedy that at least a little bit by picking up this great card.

#2 - 1968-69 Topps Johnny Bucyk - $5.45

The runner-up for top card of the weekend goes to this 1968-69 Topps Johnny Bucyk.  What a beauty!  As I type this post I'm thinking I should have ranked this card #1 after all.  Oh well, as I said the top half dozen or so are really all interchangeable in my mind.

The Chief is an absolute legend in Boston, having put in 21 years in a Bruins sweater and having been an integral part of some of the most successful teams in the history of the franchise.  I'm astounded that I was able to find this card in this shape for this price during the sale.  Like so many cards in the countdown, I found myself wondering why I'd waited so long.

Here's the back, super clean as well and a great cartoon.  Yep, this probably should have been #1 in the countdown, but here's the card I went with instead...

#1 - 1972 Topps Bill Lee - $5.25

Shocker, another tough '72 Topps high number!  Of the handful of '72 Red Sox I picked up that weekend, this one stands tallest.  While I haven't pursued it all that actively, I'd love to complete the run of The Spaceman's '70s Red Sox cards.  I've already got most of them, but had always held off on this one due to its high price point.  With time running out in the sale, and just enough money left in my account to cover it and the shipping of my purchases, I finally brought one home.

So, there's a look at my pick-ups from COMC's Black Friday/Cyber Monday promotion in 2019.  I wouldn't say that I landed any absolute jaw-droppers, or collection cornerstones, but I enjoyed the sale nonetheless.  I'll certainly be back to enjoy the promotion next year!

I hope you saw at least a card or two that you found interesting among my haul.  Thanks as always for stopping by!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Nice haul here! I love the Shanny and Devers cards in particular. I saw the Halladay on COMC but it was $4 at the time. I tried looking for a flaw on your Killebrew and I don't see one that would warrant such a low grade :shrug:

Fuji said...

Great stuff. The Bill Lee at #1 is a great choice. Those '72 high numbers can sell for outrageous prices. I discovered that after building the Oakland A's team set.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...