Wednesday, January 21, 2009

John from the UK Strikes Again!

I was having a tough day at work the other day, when out of the blue someone dropped a bubble mailer on my desk. A quick glance at the address, and suddenly my day got a whole lot better. John had struck again, sending along a great stack of cards. Best of all, we hadn't discussed a trade or anything recently, so the package came as a total surprise. I don't have time to show off everything, but here are my favorites from the package:

1985 Topps Collectors' Series - #44 - Cy Young
John is a fellow Red Sox fan, so just like last time, a good chunk of the cards he sent along were Red Sox cards, which are greatly appreciated. I had never heard of this Collectors' Series set before. As far as I can tell, Topps released this set (depicting retired players) in 1985. I'm not sure if these were released any other years, or if they were sold through retail only. Anyone have any more info on this set?
2004 Topps Cracker Jack - #12 - Connie Mack
John knows I like vintage cards, so vintage is the other theme of this package. I wasn't collecting cards in 2004, so this is actually the first of these Cracker Jack cards that I've acquired. I really like the look of this set, I'm sure there are short prints but I'll have to see if I can pick up some of the Red Sox players on the cheap.
2002 Topps Archives Reserve - #7 - Fred Lynn
You can't tell from the scan, but this is one shiny card! I did have a couple of 2002 Topps Archives cards, but this is my first Topps Archives Reserve card. That's 3 straight cards where the sets themselves were entirely new to me, not bad!

John sent a bunch of newer Sox cards as well, mostly from 2007 and 2008. I didn't waste a dime on Upper Deck X, and only bought a single pack of Spectrum so these cards are much appreciated.
And now, for my favorite part of the package, a dozen or so 1970 Topps cards!
Once again a couple of Red Sox cards and a gently loved checklist.

The majority of the cards were Washington Senators and Seattle Pilots cards. These are great, I was just commenting in my last post that I love cards depicting teams that are no longer in existence! There were 2 of the Marty Pattin cards included, so I've added one to my Available for Trade list.
Thanks once again for another great package John! These cards really brightened my day. I've got a stack of cards started to send back your way, hopefully very soon. On an unrelated note, I've gotten pretty tired of looking at the 1986 Topps League Leaders set, so for the short-term I'll be switching the slideshow back to cards featured on this blog.

1 comment:

night owl said...

John's great. Those 1970 Pilots cards are great. The whole thing is great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...