Monday, July 13, 2009

Vacation Project - 1991 Conlon Collection

I've got the week off from work, and I've decided to spend some time organizing my collection and completing some projects that I can never seem to find the time for. First on the list is completing my 1991 Sporting News Conlon Collection set. I had a couple of packs of this stuff when I was a kid, but I didn't really appreciate the cards for what they were until I received one in a package from John a few months back. I bid on a box of the stuff on eBay a few days later and to my surprise won it for a whopping 99 cents! I opened the first few packs but never sorted them or finished the box. The picture above is what was waiting for me this morning, a couple hundred random cards and between 20 and 30 unopened packs.

At 18 cards a pack it took a while to slug through the rest of the box, but I'm proud to say I stuck with my guns and just a couple of hours later have a nice sorted set and a gigantic stack of doubles, both of which I will be adding to Zistle later this week. I'll save the full breakdown of the set for my Completed Set post once it's finished. In the meantime, there's only one problem...

I AM MISSING CARD NUMBER 7! If anyone out there happens to have a spare Mel Ott #7 card hanging around that they'd like to send, I can send you a whole bunch of Conlon in return, or anything else you might be interested in for that matter. Yes, I can pick the card up for about 10-20 cents online, but I figured I would reach out to other collectors first to see if I could get a 2-way trade going rather than pay shipping for a single common. Anyone have it?

4 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

look no further my friend... I've got a couple.

One will be headed your way. Now you've made me have to sort my Conlon.... thanks a lot....

Matt Runyon said...

Those cards were great. I know I have some in a box somewhere. I need to check to see how close I came to a complete set.

shoeboxlegends said...

Thank you Brian! If either of you need any once you've got yours sorted just let me know, I've got a very large stack of doubles, probably more than 200.

MMayes said...

I absolutely loved those Conlon cards. In the era of overproduction, it was such a relief to get away from Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire to Joe Tinker and Mark Koenig.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...