Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dollar Box Bonanza

I've built up a stack of quite a few cards from the dollar box at the local hobby shop over the last few months, but I don't have the time (or desire) to write a post on every single one, so here's a bunch of them all at once for your viewing pleasure. I probably have enough cards left to do this two or three more times...

1966 Topps - #46 - Howie Koplitz

Tell me you could look at this card for a buck and walk away? I like the old Senators cap and the warm-up jacket underneath the uniform. Then there's the glasses. I'm going to warn you right now, there's a heavy dose of 1966 Topps in this post. It's not my favorite set of the decade by any means, but there is a ton of it in the dollar box and all of it in really good shape too. Beggars can't be choosers...

1971-72 Topps - #15 - Yvan Cournoyer

Hall-of-Famer. 1971-72 Topps card that I didn't have. Enough said. Since most of my selections are Topps cards from the 60's and 70's, there are plenty of cartoons:


1973 Topps - #370 - Willie Stargell

Fantastic card. My favorite in this lot. I had never even seen this card before to the best of my recollection. I really need to get more '73 Topps, they have some of the nicest looking backs of all-time in my opinion:


1966 Topps - #266 - Pedro Gonzalez

I learned that this is an uncorrected error, as Topps incorrectly spelled Pedro's last name on the back:


1961 Topps - #25 - Reds Heavy Artillery

This is really the only card in the group that's in pretty poor condition. It's not centered well, and there's some sort of a stain across the bottom middle of the card. I'm a sucker for the 50's and 60's combo cards though, so I couldn't resist.

1966 Topps - #187 - Chuck Dressen

Chuck had a managerial career that spanned decades. I always associate him with the Brooklyn Dodgers of the early 50's. This is his final Topps card, sadly he suffered his second heart attack just 26 games into the 1966 season. Later that summer he would succumb to a kidney infection at the age of 67.


1976 Topps Traded - #250T - Fergie Jenkins

Believe it or not this is my first card from either of the two 1970's Traded sets. As a Red Sox fan, I should've added this one to the collection a long time ago.

1966 Topps - #140 - Jim Maloney

Fergie Jenkins might be the best pitcher in this lot, but there are certainly some notable pitching performances. Jim Maloney no-hit the Cubs on August 19th, 1965:


2008-09 O-Pee-Chee Retro Parallel - #564 - Richard Brodeur

One of the last remaining Legends retro parallels I needed from this set. I will finish this one someday!

1966 Topps - #21 - Don Nottebart

Don also threw a no-hitter, against the Philadelphia Phillies on May 17th, 1963:


1961 Topps - #14 - Don Mossi

This is the second Don Mossi I've plucked from the dollar box.

1966 Topps - #64 - Bob Bruce

Bob wasn't fortunate enough to hurl a no-hitter, but he did throw a one-hitter in 1963:


1966 Topps - #280 - Bobby Knoop

1992-93 Upper Deck Gordie Howe Heroes - Header

Not the most exciting card, but it's one off the want list. I'm about halfway done with the Howe Heroes insert set at this point.

1966 Topps - #274 - Buster Narum

Buster homered in his first major league at bat, not bad for a pitcher:


1988-89 Topps Sticker Inserts - #2 - Mario Lemieux

Maybe a buck was too much to pay for this one, but it fills an empty slot in one of my 80's hockey binders.

1966 Topps - #15 - Vern Law

We close it out with a mint '66 Topps of a former Cy Young Award winner, not bad!

All that for $17. No wonder it's been months since I've purchased any cards from Target...

4 comments:

Hackenbush said...

But if you went to Target you could have had like 50 brand new cards of a lot of players you don't care about. Dumbass!
Seriously though, nice pickups.

Scott Crawford said...

Those are some solid pickups, especially the '71-'72 hockey (love that set design, really need to get a few of those), the '73 Stargell and the '61 card of The Mossi One!

night owl said...

"I really need to get more '73 Topps, they have some of the nicest looking backs of all-time in my opinion ..."

Funny you should mention that. Stay tuned to the Card Back Countdown.

Jim from Downingtown said...

Lots of nice '66 baseball cards!

I read on Wikipedia a few years ago (when posting my card of Chuck Dressen on my 1966 blog) that he was an NFL quarterback in the 1920s.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...