Sunday, August 4, 2013

Signature Sundays - Two Legendary Capitals and a Sutter Brother

What a week, another trip to New York City for work and the wedding of some close friends yesterday meant no time for my hobby the past few days.  It was sort of a nice break actually, but I'm ready to get back to it here, so let's start with three more autographs from my growing collection of 2012-13 Panini Classics Signatures...

We'll start things off with goaltender Olaf Kolzig.  This one may not be as interesting as my favorite Kolzig card, but I like it nonetheless.  If you're a Capitals fan, you're very familiar with this guy, as he holds nearly every franchise goaltending record.  I had forgotten until looking him up for this post that he actually captured a Vezina trophy back in 2000.  So how much does an on-card autograph of a former Vezina winner set you back?  Around $4 in my case.

As the back of the card indicates, Kolzig has a very interesting relationship with fellow goalie Byron Dafoe.

If I'm being honest, Rich Sutter is one of the more mundane cards on the checklist.  Let's face it, he's basically included in the set because of his brothers playing at the NHL level.  I'm going after as many of these autos as I can though, and it was cheap enough...


Closing it out, we'll switch back to the Capitals and feature another one of the franchise's greatest players, Dennis Maruk.  Although he played before my time (I was just a few years old when he played his final NHL games), it seems to me as though he was a very under-rated player.  He was good for about a point-per-game in his NHL career (878 career points in 888 career games), which I think is an impressive stat even given that he played during an era of offense.

Maruk's best season was 1981-82, where he racked up 60 goals, 76 assists and 136 points.  The assists and point totals are still the best ever for a member of the Capitals.  I love that the back of this card mentions Maruk's trademark facial hair.

There you have it, two legendary Capitals and a Sutter brother.  My tally for these Panini Classics Signatures autos now stands at 19...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I love that Maruk! I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I was a Caps fan in the late 70's and early 80's, and Dennis Maruk is one of my all-time favorites.

Thanks for sharing these!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...