Saturday, September 21, 2013

Premier League Week 5 - 1960 A & BC Gum Ron Wylie

Another exciting weekend of Premier League soccer, another card from the 1960 A & BC Gum set.  My favorite team, Liverpool, suffered a tough 1-0 home loss to Southampton this week.  Here's a card from a team that fared a little better earlier today...

How about that smile from Ron Wylie of Aston Villa?  Ron's a little off-center, and has well rounded corners, but other than that is looking pretty good.  He played quite a few seasons for Aston Villa, and was a member of the team that won the inaugural League Cup in 1961.

Aston Villa is a club I'm somewhat familiar with, having followed Premier League soccer for the past couple of seasons.  I didn't realize they had been around so long though, having been established in 1874, and playing their home games on the same field now that they did at the end of the 19th century!  Today they were successful on the road at Norwich, capturing 3 points with a 1-0 victory.

Thanks to the back we find out that Wylie was the "ball-playing type of inside forward".  Seems like the writers were really stretching there.  I don't think it's likely I'll ever finish this set in my lifetime given that I never seem to encounter these cards anywhere, but Ron here is my 4th and counting...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...