Thursday, October 10, 2013

Belated Thank You to Sportscards from the Dollar Store

I got quite a ways behind on posting trade packages over the summer, largely thanks to one or two monster packages.  I am nearly caught up though, and wanted to take a moment to thank Douglas of Sportscards from the Dollar Store for a couple of great packages he sent a few months ago now...

One smaller PWE package contained a few new Hartford Whalers cards.  I think at least one or two of these I commented about when they were posted on his blog, and Douglas was kind enough to set them to the side for me.  This Sean Burke is from the 2012-13 Between the Pipes set, always nice to see the Whalers on a modern checklist!

I'm going to need some help identifying this one...anyone?  It's a sticker, and it's very shiny, but there's not really any telling information about what set this is from.  Please leave a comment if you know, or think you know, so that I can properly catalog this one...

Andrew Cassels hand signed Collector's Choice card!  Don't think there are many folks out there forging Cassels' signature so I'm willing to bet this is legit.  I've got a certified Cassels auto kicking around here somewhere that I can compare it to.

There was also a much larger package, in a bubble mailer, that helped me to make significant progress on two hockey sets.  First, there were a handful of '82-83 O-Pee-Chee cards.  I'm getting there with this one, but still have around 140 cards to go, including many of the big cards.  I'm sort of regretting not just picking up a set with this one, and I still may given that you can get one in really nice condition for under $100.



For now I'm happy to get a little closer to my hand collated set at least.

The majority of the bubble mailer was Douglas just about demolishing my 2010-11 Score want list!  There were dozens of cards I needed from the set.  In fact, after this package I'm now just two base cards and 5 Hot Rookies short prints away from knocking this one off!

I don't have time to show all the great Score cards included, but there were definitely some stars...


I'd say this package saved me a couple bucks on COMC just for those few superstars alone.  The absolute best part of the package is the card I've saved for last though, one I've been searching out for a LONG time...

Absolutely psyched to land this card!  If you've been reading my blog for a while you know that I've been in pursuit of the 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee Retro parallel set for years now.  I'm only working on Series 1, which is a 600-card behemoth, and I'm painfully close to finishing it off!  Trevor was one of four cards I had left to track down, and held a spot on my Most Wanted list in my sidebar before Douglas picked it off.  I'm so close now on this set I can taste it, just three more of these impossible-to-find cards to track down...

As always, thanks for the fantastic cards Douglas!  You're one of the few collectors I know who makes as much effort to find cards for others as he does for himself, and it's truly appreciated!

3 comments:

buckstorecards said...

When I came across that Whalers helmet, it was surmised that it was a sticker that you'd find get from one of those vending machines where the cards slide out. I've pulled them from repacks, but vaguely recall seeing them in malls about 10 years back.

I'm not sure as to what set specifically that came from but I don't think it connects to any card set.

TheRealDFG said...

someone out there in the blogoverse posted these stickers before asking for help. I know the question got answered but I don't remember who it was or what the answer was. See? I'm a huge help.1

Shawn said...

It's definitely a vending machine sticker. I have a Bruins one just like it that I got from a Toys R Us vending machine appx. 11 years ago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...