Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Box Break - Stadium Club Part 2

I've held onto my 2014 Stadium Club hobby box for some time now, so it's time I got around to opening a bit more.  The first of three mini-boxes was a success in my book, yielding a pair of Red Sox parallels, some beautiful base cards, and some trade bait.  Time to crack into the second mini-box.  6 packs inside, 5 cards per pack...

Pack 1...

Leading things off is one of the biggest free agent starters still on the market.  Max is looking for a home for 2015 and beyond and can be yours for the low cost of $150 Million plus...

I pulled the base version of this Felix Hernandez card out of my first mini-box.  This one is a Gold parallel.

Love the photograph on this one, with Rizzo signing for a group of kids on a sunny Wrigley summer day.

Another great horizontal photograph.

Overall that first pack was a rather bland entry into the second mini-box.  Let's see if pack 2 is any better...


Hanley Ramirez is now the highest paid player on the Boston Red Sox roster.  That doesn't seem right to me, but we'll see how 2015 plays out I guess.


Rickey Henderson saved pack 2 from being a disaster.  I love how this photograph, and the framing of Henderson on the card, just screams "speed".

This was the first pack I've encountered so far that contained nothing but five base cards.  I wouldn't mind that in the least had they been a little more exciting.  Pack 3...



Not a huge fan of these Beam Team inserts.  Was hoping I'd pull either a Red Sox player, or at least a team that's collected by someone I trade frequently with.  Oh well, maybe in mini-box 3...


Half-way point, and this mini-box is shaping up to be a dud so far if I'm being honest.  Pack 4...


I had already purchased a Red Sox team set prior to picking up my hobby box, so this card is now in my pile to send off to Mark Hoyle (if you need it Mark?).

Here's a Rainbow parallel.  Pulled Wade Boggs in my first mini-box, this time Jose Altuve.  Not a bad guy to pull a parallel of given the season he just had at the plate...


Two great horizontal photos to end probably my strongest pack of the mini-box.  Pack 5...


Starting off strong with two HOFers...

...but then plunging right off the cliff with this.  I knew I was going to get scrub autographs, but now I have to do work just to get my card.  Redemptions annoy me on principle alone.  Never heard of this guy, which isn't surprising given that he plays for the D-Backs.


Finally, pack 6...

Snooze...


Sweet card.  Much better than the Mark McGwire Field Access insert from my first mini-box.


Closing out the second mini-box is one of the sluggers of my youth, Jeff Bagwell.

That was definitely nowhere near as good as the first mini-box.  Only 6 retired players compared to 10 in the first box, and skunked with a redemption autograph.  I would like to complete the base set, so it was nice getting a chunk of those cards regardless.

Sometime in the next few weeks I'll get around to ripping and posting my final mini-box, and putting up a want list for the base cards I'm still missing.  I can only hope the final installment of my hobby box will be more interesting than this one...

5 comments:

Daniel Wilson said...

I know I'm biased as a D-Backs fan, but Chris Owings in a decent player and should be the starting shortstop for the D-Backs this coming season now that we traded Didi Gregorius to the Yankees.

Mark Kaz said...

Ugh. Redemption cards a such a buzzkill. On the bright side, you got some real good base cards out of the mix, including a really snazzy Jeter. Great photo choice!

Mark Hoyle said...

Beautiful cards. I don't have any of them yet. I'm in the box break at Nachos Grande is putting on. Stadium club is one of the boxes involved

Hackenbush said...

Beautiful cards. Believe it or not i haven't crack open the box I got on Christmas. Soon.

Brad said...

I wish I knew more about the who's-who in baseball...

The cards look great though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...