Sunday, December 28, 2014

Signature Sundays - Warren Spahn!

Since today is the final Signature Sundays post of 2014, I figured why not go out with a bang.  To that end, for this post I've got an autograph of one of the best left-handed pitchers in baseball history to show you, Mr. Warren Spahn:

While a 1965 reprint is an odd choice for Topps to go with for this Spahn autograph (which is actually a 2001 Topps Team Legends card), I was sold on it for a couple of reasons.  First of all, the '65 Topps release represented Spahn's final Topps card of his career.  Secondly, Spahn passed away back in 2003, so he doesn't have a million on-card, certified autographs out there.  At around $20, I couldn't pass up a chance to add an autograph of one of the game's premier southpaw hurlers to my humble collection.

Warren won an incredible 363 games, the most of any lefty and the most of any pitcher in the live-ball era, period.  I don't see this record falling any time soon given that it would require more than 15 consecutive 20-win seasons to even get within the ballpark.  His signature isn't half bad here either, especially given that he was around 80 years old when this card got signed.  At least it's pretty much legible, which is more than you can say for a good deal of today's ballplayers.

As 2014 winds to a close, I've still got a couple of posts left to conclude my 7th full year here at Shoebox Legends.  Looking forward to a great year 8 in 2015!

4 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

That's a great card

Pro Set Cards said...

Superb card! I actually call my youngest son Rhett "Warren" because he is always throwing stuff at his brother with his left hand! Very nice and I look forward to many more in 2015!

Mark Kaz said...

Holy cow. Tremendous!

Hackenbush said...

Awesome. I'm not sure Spahn is as appreciated as he should be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...