Sunday, December 7, 2014

Signature Sundays - Nuge

This week I've got another autograph from last season's Panini Prizm release.  I'm a sucker for this shiny set, one of Panini's better efforts in my opinion.  Count me among those disappointed that they will not be producing officially licensed NHL trading cards in 2014-15.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was the #1 overall pick just a few short years ago.  Had I tried to land his John Hancock back in 2011 or 2012 it would have cost me a small fortune.  Nowadays, Ryan's looking like a 20-goal, 40-assist guy on a meddling team who can be a defensive liability at times.  In fact, with the way their season is going it looks like Edmonton might be picking #1 again in next year's draft.  The Oilers have to move some pieces, don't they?  I keep hearing Jordan Eberle's name thrown out there, but we'll see...

Part of me wonders whether Ryan would be more successful on a better team, surrounded by some solid veterans, and playing in a sound defensive structure.  Regardless, I thought his autograph was worth picking up for the price, especially given how nice these Prizm cards look.  Even if Ryan never amounts to more than an average player it will still be a cool novelty autograph of a #1 overall pick for around $7.

The seller was kind enough to throw in two bonus cards.

I don't have an interest in either, although I do appreciate the gesture.  These two are off to the Zistle trade box...

4 comments:

BobWalkthePlank said...

I'm a fan of the baseball version even without a license.

Kyle said...

Nice pick-up! Would you consider trading the Nuge auto at all?

-Kyle

Brad said...

$7?! Wow, I remember when a Hopkins auto was quite the penny on the secondary market. Nice pickup.

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys!

Kyle, I'm going to hang onto this for a while as it's my first autograph of Nugent-Hopkins. Sorry!

Brad, good to see you back in blogging action!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...