Sunday, October 6, 2019

A Football Card Experiment - Game 5 - Redskins Live!

This afternoon the New England Patriots take the show on the road to face the Washington Redskins at Fedex Field in Landover, Maryland.  I'm really excited for this week's game, because I'll be in attendance!  My first experience seeing the Pats play a road game away from Gillette Stadium, and I'm really pumped.

Continuing along with my experiment of acquiring and posting about one new football card to represent each of the Patriots' games this season, here's week 5's card...

Simply beautiful!  This is hands down my favorite football card at this stage of the experiment.  Those of you who stop by here with any regularity know what a fan I am of the early '50s Bowman baseball cards, so I suppose it should come as no surprise that I enjoy the football versions equally as much as it turns out.

Giant (and potentially insensitive) logo aside, I just love the painting here of a stern Eddie Saenz in his Sunday get-up.  The old school football helmets are almost comical to me.  As with the paintings used for the baseball releases from this same era, I love the level of detail here; the artist really captured the subtleties of Saenz's facial features quite well.

After a career-ending injury changed his roadmap, Saenz went on to a second career as a Hollywood stunt double!  I'm not sure what injury was so bad that he couldn't play professional football any longer, yet allowed him to be a stunt double, but there it is.

That's a wrap for this week.  I obviously auto-scheduled this post, as I've been down in Maryland since yesterday.  Hopefully I'll be enjoying a cold adult beverage on a nice fall day, and watching the Patriots smash the 'Skins in person as you read this.

Until next time, thanks for stopping by!  Enjoy the week 5 action all you NFL fans.

2 comments:

Fuji said...

I lean on the side of racial insensitivity when it comes to the Redskins team name... but when it comes to this card, I find it truly fascinating. I think the reason it doesn't bother me on a 1950's piece of cardboard is because it was a sign of the times and this card represents a slice of sports history.

Fuji said...

P.S. Hope you're enjoying your vacation and that cool adult beverage.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...