Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Fivers - Iconic Sherm

Fivers is an aptly named series of ongoing posts, each of which will feature a single card that cost me $5 (give or take). Here's one I'm particularly proud of!

Lately, my collecting has been almost laser-focused on baseball cards from the '50s or earlier.  This beauty fits the bill, from the iconic 1952 Topps set.  So much to love here, the old-school White Sox logo, the very dated "tools of ignorance", or even that fantastic wooden grandstand backdrop.

I'm still in almost outright disbelief that I was able to snag this one during a COMC sale for just $5.85.  This card is pretty damn crisp; visually stunning, well-centered, crease free and with relatively solid corners.  Easily one of the better examples condition-wise of the more than two dozen cards I now have from this set.

1952 was Sherm's first season with Chicago, and the many-time All-Star started at backstop for well over 100 games for the White Sox that season.

So, there you have it!  Is it possible to get more fulfillment in this hobby than this for around $5?  In my humble opinion the answer is no, but everyone collects differently which is the beauty of the hobby.  In any event, for a 5-spot I couldn't be happier.

Thanks as always for stopping by!

2 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I have a post theme called "Less than a Lincoln" that is similar, duh. I haven't posted too many this year, but I definitely could have done one everyday. I guess I got lazy. I should get my butt movin. lol. Nice 52'

Matt said...

The White Sox need to go back to that winged sock logo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...