Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Grabbing Gretzkys - I Like Goooold

This week's Grabbing Gretzkys post is the perfect opportunity to show off my newest acquisition featuring The Great One.  I'd been after one of these for a while, and finally brought one home only recently...

Here's how the card arrived in my mailbox, and was listed for auction.  Pretty banged up and scuffed up screw-down holder, that was also used backwards for some reason.  It was easy to see beyond that though to appreciate the shining beauty that was protected within.

Easily the "most gold Gretzky" in my collection, this is a Gold Team insert from the 1995-96 Select Certified release.  Let's free it from its plastic prison and take a closer look...

Bam!  Simply stunning.  Gaudy?  Sure, but this thing is awesome.  The entire front got the heavy gold foil treatment.  On top of that, there's sort of a radiating pattern like sunlight that streaks across the entire card from the Gold Team logo at lower right.  Sort of reminds me of the Pinnacle Museum Collection/Rink Collection parallels in that sense.

What's really amazing about it is that Pinnacle gave the same level of attention to the back of the card!  Check it out:

Again, completely covered in gold foil, and I think I like this image even more than the one used on the front.  The background has been replaced by the words Gold Team repeated over and over.  A stunning-looking card back for sure.  I feel like this putting this much effort into a card back is something that you don't really see much these days.  A really cool touch that makes this card feel special.

Here's Wayne in his new plastic prison, much more presentable in this brand new Ultra Pro OneTouch magnetic, in a slim fit sleeve.  There's something very satisfying to my OCD about rescuing a card from a beat-up/scratched holder or case and giving it a new presentation like this.

So happy to have this unique card for my Gretzky collection.  Best part is, it set me back just $10 plus shipping.  I was more than happy to shell that out for such a scarce and intriguing card.  One of my favorite recent Gretzky additions.

I hope you found this as interesting a card as I did, and either way thanks as always for stopping by!

5 comments:

Pro Set Cards said...

That's gold Jerry! Sorry had to do it. Truth is I had never seen these inserts before. They do look sweet and I bet better in person even. Great addition.

Billy Kingsley said...

Stunning card! I hadn't run across that set before. The 1990s are the best. I've gotten a few in backwards screwdowns over the years... weird.

gregory said...

The hockey puck on the front is in the perfect spot. It's as if every puck Gretzky touches begins to radiate a golden light.

Tim B. said...

That is incredible, congrats!

Fuji said...

Super gaudy... but super awesome! I love 1995-96 Select Certified hockey, the Mirror Gold parallels, and Gold Team inserts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...