Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Trade with Life and Baseball Cards

Recently I completed another trade with Life and Baseball Cards. We've exchanged cards quite a few times now, every so often I send him a stack of Cubs, and every so often I get a stack of Red Sox in return. I like that arrangement! This latest package was really something, I think there were around 75 Red Sox cards. It's going to take me forever to catalog and sort them all, so I just chose 9 from the stack to show here. Seemed like an appropriate number with Opening Day being tomorrow.

Leading off we have this great Fred Lynn jersey card. I know, I just posted yesterday on how I feel sort of indifferent towards these, and now here I am leading off a post with one. This one's nice though, because it's hard to tell from the scan but the swatch definitely has the look and feel of a '70s uniform. It's faded, a heavier material, and not shiny white like a lot of more modern swatches. Plus, this was actually worn by Lynn in an MLB game:


Next up is a Kevin Youkilis Turkey Red insert from the 2010 Topps set. Youk did not have a great Spring Training at all, but I'm a sucker for Turkey Red cards.

I chose this Rick Wise card to show even though I already have it. Why? Rick Wise is awesome for two reasons. First of all, as I'm sure you already know, on June 23rd, 1971 as a member of the Phillies he no-hit the Cincinnati Reds and hit two home runs! Secondly, he was the Red Sox winning pitcher in one of the greatest baseball games ever played, Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. Off to the trade pile for Rick...

You might find this hard to believe, but I actually did not have this 1989 Topps Mike Greenwell All-Star card. I don't know how that could possibly be, but it's the truth.

I chose these next two cards from 2008 Donruss Threads to illustrate just how poor a job Donruss did with masking team logos in this unlicensed set. On Fisk's base card they at least made some effort to blur out the Red Sox logo on his batting helmet.

On Jim Rice's card though, no effort was made whatsoever to conceal the Sox logo.

I picked this one from the stack because I had one of those "I wonder what this guy's up to now?" moments. If the results of my brief internet search are accurate Drew is currently unsigned by any team for 2012. Looks like it may be time for J.D. to hang up the spikes.

Here's a T206 card of starter Clay Buchholz. After Clay missed most of last season with a nagging back injury, I think Red Sox fans are going to be holding their breath with every pitch he throws this year.

Finally, we have tomorrow's Opening Day starter, lefty Jon Lester. I'm a sucker for shiny and even though this didn't scan that well it looks great when held in person. I think it's an Xfractor but who knows.

Thanks for the awesome cards CC! I'm almost caught up on posting trade packages now, but I have a few cards from 1967ers still to come...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...