Monday, June 18, 2012

1974-75 Topps Hockey - Oh So Close!

I kind of strayed on this project for a while, but here are my two most recent pick-ups towards my 1974-75 Topps hockey set.  Both are Hall-of-Famers, and both are pretty great cards.  I think they're significant enough to deserve their own post.

First up is Borje Salming's rookie card.  Borje was one of the NHL's first great European players, and was one of the better defensemen of his era.  Salming became the first Swedish player elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1996.  These can be found pretty cheap, a great way to add a HOF RC to your collection without spending much cash...


The other pick-up was Guy Lafleur.  I've wanted a copy of this card for a long time, and as it turns out Guy ended up being one of the final few cards I needed towards my set.  What a great photo of the Canadiens' star.

I like that this card is from early enough in Lafleur's career that the back says he "could be ready to move into a 'star' category".

The best part about these is that they are in much better shape than most of my '74-75s, certainly good enough that I'll never need to bother with upgrading them.  With these two slid into place in the binder, I'm now just three cards short of a set.  I need to track down #2 (Assist Leaders/Bobby Orr & Dennis Hextall), #130 (Bobby Orr AS) and #260 (Bobby Clarke) and then I can finally put this one to bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That'll be a cool feeling to see that set done. I always liked that Lafleur card. It's the one they used to use as an example from the set in the old price guides.

Michael said...

Two huge names! Should look very nice all put together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...