Monday, June 16, 2014

I'm Back with Marty McManus

Last week completely beat me down. An intense five-day training for work had me leaving my house every day at 5:45am and getting home around 8pm. Have you ever had your own house feel sort of like a hotel to you? If so, then you understand where I'm coming from.  Not only did I not post a single time here all week, but I hardly read another blog either.  Come Saturday I was ready to catch up on a week of missed activity and do some good ol' fashioned relaxing.  Instead, I had a weekend full of things like dentist appointments, pet appointments, company over for dinner, etc.

I'm finally returning to a somewhat normal schedule, and to dip my toes back in the blogging water I've got just a single card tonight, my latest addition in my attempt to complete a 1933 Goudey Red Sox team set:

I confess that I don't know too much about Marty McManus.  He died nearly two decades before I was even born, and it's not like he was well known enough that I read about him in baseball books as a kid.  Even his time in Boston was limited.  He was traded to the team during the 1931 season, and would serve as player/manager for the latter half of 1932 as well as 1933, before the team let him go.  I do find the player/manager to be a very interesting dynamic, and one of those things that I think we can safely say we'll never see again in the modern sport.

Here's a better look at Marty, once again in really great shape for a "low grade" card.  Not the world's most exciting image but any cardboard more than eight decades old is automatically impressive to me.

Marty marks my fifth Red Sox card from this set, leaving me just three more to chase down.  I'm thinking I may knock this one out in 2014 after all.  Alright, off to read some blogs...

2 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Always great to see a "really" vintage card. Here's a nice photo of Marty with Yankees manager Joe Carthy,
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3561/5840772416_040bd3f769_z.jpg

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks Hackenbush! As usual that photograph is fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...