Thursday, June 5, 2014

Suckered In - O-Pee-Chee & a Hit from Vanguard!

Continuing on today with the 10-packs-for-$11.99 hockey repack that I picked up at Target a few weeks back.  I grabbed this over a month ago so I guess I'm stretching it out fairly well.  If you want to see what I've pulled so far you can see pack 1 here, packs 2 and 3 here, and packs 4 and 5 here.  After a decent start things took kind of a nosedive with the last two packs, I'm hoping I can rebound today with some nicer stuff in the next two...

First up is a pack of 2012-13 O-Pee-Chee.  A rack pack of this led things off, today's is just a standard 8-card retail pack.

Probably wishes he was still on the Rangers.  Then again, would the Rangers be where they are if that trade had not taken place?

Not a fan of this one, I have no idea why they had to crop Phil so closely.

Snooze...

Now we're getting a bit better.  Anze is pacing the league with 24 points in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs, if the Kings win it he's certainly been a huge contributor to say the least.

It's not too often that I pull a card of someone who shares my name.  Shane's still kicking around and split time between the Flames and their minor league affiliate this past season.

Great parallel!  I pulled the base version of this card, which happens to be #1 on the checklist, in my rack pack that started this repack off, and promptly sent it to Douglas of Sports Cards from the Dollar Store for his 2/14 birthday collection.  Douglas, if you need this parallel it's all yours, if not I'm gonna hang onto it...


That does it for O-Pee-Chee.  Nothing earth-shattering but the Kopitar and Gaborik parallel kind of saved an otherwise dull pack.  Let's move on to our second offering of the day, pack #7 from the box, 2001-02 Pacific Vanguard:

I was not collecting sports cards at all from around 1997 through 2007 so this one was new to me (pretty much the case with all Pacific releases).  Looks fancy, although you get a disappointing three cards per pack.  You do have a shot at a double-sided game-used memorabilia card.  Let's tear in...

Alright, not a bad start out of the gate with a Dany Heatley rookie.  These cards are much shinier in person than they come across in the scan, and are very thick too, along the lines of early Flair baseball releases.

Here's a look at the back, decent enough design although I don't generally like it when companies mess with the standard horizontal state line.  Vertical just doesn't work for me.

This was better than I expected from a re-pack!  I threw out the wrapper before checking the odds on these and I'm too lazy to go research it, but I'm satisfied.  I liked Kovalev as a player back in the '90s too, so this one gets some nostalgia points.  Who does he share the card with?

Kip Miller?!?!  Pictured with the Pens but listed with the Ducks?  Oh well, an interesting card nonetheless and one I'd be willing to send off in trade someday.

Finishing things off, goaltender Mike Dunham of the Nashville Predators.

Well, that was an improvement over the last couple of packs for sure.  A handful of really nice cards came out of these two packs.  I'll probably group the remaining three packs into one final post at some point in the next few weeks and then I'll have an idea whether this thing was worth the $12 or not...

3 comments:

buckstorecards said...

My binder could definitely use that Gaborik. No rush to send it though.

Pro Set Cards said...

Fun break and congrats on the hit!

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks guys. buckstorecards, you got it, it has been placed in your always-existent stack!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...