Sunday, October 26, 2014

Signature Sundays - Gainey, Park & Cheevers!

I'm closing in on the end of the Panini Classics Signatures autographs that I've been fortunate enough to acquire, and this week I've got another great trio of Hall of Famers to present...

First up is Bob Gainey, who has wonderful penmanship.  He played his entire career for the Montreal Canadiens, capturing five Stanley Cups (and taking the team to the finals where they lost to the Flames the year he retired).  Conn Smythe Trophy winner and four time Selke Trophy winner, Bob was inducted in 1992.  Making a creepy lurker appearance on the card is fellow HOFer Marcel Dionne.


Brad Park's signature is not quite as impressive as Gainey's.  Park had the unfortunate circumstance of having to play the best years of his NHL career while a guy named Bobby Orr was playing in Boston.  He finished second in Norris Trophy voting an insane number of times, you'd think he would have gotten it out of pity after enough years.  Brad never got to hoist the Cup either.  He's basically enshrined for being the second best defenseman in hockey after #4 for a good long time, as far as I can tell.  Granted he'd played his best years long before I was even born so who am I to say.


Last but certainly not least, Mr. Gerry Cheevers!  He's actually been featured in a Signature Sundays segment once before, way back in December of 2012.  I think I like the photo used for this card a bit more.  I've mentioned this before, but I've always had an affinity towards Cheevers, as he provided color commentary for the local TV broadcasts of Hartford Whalers games when I was a kid.

That's all for this week.  I believe I've shown 137 autographs from this set to date.  At this point I have just 6 more cards to show, then I'll move onto other subjects for my Signature Sundays posts.  Sure has been fun collecting these though...

3 comments:

Marc said...

Fantastic signatures! Hockey's biggest rivalry is well represented here. Always enjoy the shots of helmetless players.

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks Marc! Thought you'd like that trio ;-)

Pro Set Cards said...

Each post pulls me more and more into this set. Fantastic trio!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...