Monday, December 24, 2018

Buyback Franken-set: Teke RC and some '99s

I'm trying to get to 1,300 total buybacks before the end of the year, so let's bite off another ten today...

1976 Topps #112 - Kent Tekulve

Here's a kick-ass buyback, the 1976 rookie card of everyone's favorite bespectacled reliever, Kent Tekulve!  I've got a few Teke buybacks now, but it's hard to top his rookie.  I snagged this one off of eBay a while back for about $3.  How's it looking as far as the franken-set?

Well, I have a really great Orioles buyback already in slot 112.  That fantastic shoulder patch alone gives Tekulve a run for his money.

Gotta go with Kent though!

This number is part of a completed page, here's how it looks now with Tekulve inserted.  Great variety here, with 1974 Topps being the only duplicated set.

1991 Topps #605 - Jeff Reardon

Next up, an example of 1991 Topps at its finest.  I've always enjoyed this playful Jeff Reardon card.  Aside from featuring a great photograph, I enjoy this one because Jeff had a great season as the closer for the Red Sox in '91.  In fact, it would end up being the final All-Star season of his career.

Speaking of All-Stars, this '79 Rick Monday stands in Reardon's way in the franken-set binder.

Have to go with the Reardon.  I'm a child of the '80s/'90s, so 1991 Topps just holds more memories for me.  Doesn't hurt that it's a Red Sox buyback either.

As with the first buyback, this one changes a completed page.  Not quite as much variety here, with three entries from 1991 Topps.  This is the highest number page that I've completed so far.

1991 Topps #448 - Craig Lefferts

On the less exciting side of the coin that is 1991 Topps, here's Craig Lefferts.  How did this guy not tear a muscle every time he threw with his leg planted like that?!?!  Aside from that interesting delivery, this isn't that great a buyback to be honest.

The Mike Davis card that currently sits in slot 448 isn't anything special either.

I don't see a reason to make a change, I guess.  Here's hoping a better #448 buyback comes my way some day...

1993 Topps #600 - Bret Saberhagen

Here's a card I certainly remember from childhood.  Not your run-of-the-mill photo that you'd expect to see on an early '90s Topps flagship card.  Looks more like something from Donruss Studio.  Bret had a pretty average season in '93, going 7-7 with a 3.29 ERA, but at least his baseball card is memorable.  It's also my very first buyback of "hero number" 600, which is fantastic.  Nice to cross one of the traditionally tougher numbers off my list for this project.

1990 Topps #66 - Greg Litton

You knew I'd include at least one 1990 Topps buyback, didn't you?  I don't know much about Greg Litton, who survived a few years as a pinch hitter/utility player.  This one's prime to be shifted into the dedicated 1990 Topps buyback binder, right?

Yup, already have this awesome '62 Cuno Barragon Heritage buyback in slot 66.

One card closer in what might be one of the more insane sets I've attempted in my time collecting.

1999 Topps #322 - Reggie Jefferson

As the post title indicates, we're going to look at some 1999 Topps buybacks today.  I'd hand-picked a few of these when putting together a buyback order from an eBay seller a while back.  Reggie Jefferson was selected because...well...because it's a Red Sox buyback and that's about it.

Is that enough for him to lodge a concerned Ed Goodson from the binder?

Nah.

1999 Topps #164 - John Valentin

Sticking with the '99 Red Sox theme, here's third baseman John Valentin.  This one's more interesting to me than the Jefferson.  John's relatively brief career was in decline by this point, but he's always been a fan favorite in Boston.

Standing in John's way is a late-career Mickey Lolich, featuring that glorious Padres brown and mustard yellow combo.

Even this Red Sox fan has to go with the Lolich.

1999 Topps #329 - John Smoltz

Next up on the 1999 Topps buyback front, HOFer John Smoltz!  Now we're talking.  Aside from being a notable name, the photograph here is close to perfect in my humble opinion.  With a relatively obscure card number, I find it hard to believe that this card won't make the binder...

Even 1965 Topps Hawk Taylor isn't enough to stop Smoltz.

He's certainly got one of the better nicknames in the rejected box though.

1999 Topps #139 - Fred McGriff

On the topic of great nicknames, how about "Crime Dog"?  As much as I liked McGriff as a player, what drew me to this one is that blast-from-the-past Tampa Bay Devil Rays uniform.  I thought these were brutal at the time, but a couple of decades in the rear view mirror and there's some nostalgia for them now.

I've got this 1960 Topps Rookie Star subset buyback of Indians pitcher Carl Mathias in slot 139 though, blocking McGriff.

Well, I had this Carl Mathias in slot 139 I should say.  The Devil Rays uniform was just too much.

1959 Topps #354 - Pete Burnside

Alright, that's enough fussing with the '99s, let's close it out with a buyback that was originally printed up a good four decades earlier than those last few cards.  I'm not very aware of Pete or his career accomplishments, but I sure do love the '59 Topps set.

More so than the 1975 Topps set?

Yes.  Barely, but I think so.

Well, I got one new number anyway with the Saberhagen card.  And one more card for my 1990 Topps buyback project, plus a handful of upgrades in the franken-set binder.  I'll take it!

As I mentioned at the outset of the post, I'm hoping to reach 1,300 total buybacks by the end of the year here, and after these I'm certainly close.  Thanks as always for stopping by!

Franken-set Progress: 637/792 (80%)
1990 Topps Buyback Set: 106/792 (13%)
"Rejected" Buybacks: 549
Total Buybacks in Collection: 1,292

6 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

When you start rejecting 1960 cards you know your doing well.

The Shlabotnik Report said...

I can see ditching an airbrushed 1960 rookie or a common from 1975... but replacing a 1965 Met with a 1999 Brave... Well, I just won't stand for it! :-D

You're making great progress, though! Good luck with the last 20%!

Fuji said...

You had me at Teke. $3 for his rookie card buyback? That should be nominated for best bargain buyback of 2018.

night owl said...

No way a 1960 card should be rejected for a Devil Ray.

Brett Alan said...

I think I would have had to keep Monday and the 1960 rookie, personally. The 1999s are so weird when the name and the Rediscover stamp are touching, or close to it, and oriented the opposite way.

That page with Tekulve is really great...not only a variety of sets, but every player on the page is a notable name who had at least a decent career.

Nick said...

Glad Teke made the frankenset! Not sure I would've chosen any of those '99s, but hey, the frankenset is yours and yours alone. That's part of the beauty of it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...