Saturday, December 1, 2018

Buyback Franken-set: Brett Takes a Crack

Recently I was the recipient of a very generous and unexpected PWE from friend of the blog Brett.  Inside were five candidates for the Buyback Franken-set!  Brett actually sent me a huge batch of buybacks in the spring, let's see how today's do in terms of the franken-set...

1988 Topps #298 - Milt Thompson

In the first spot today we've got outfielder Milt Thompson of the Phillies.  A perfectly fine, if slightly bland, card as 1988 Topps goes.  Thompson does get a really rough match-up as the franken-set goes, however...

1966 All-Star Rookie Cup Rico Petrocelli.  I have a hard time envisioning this one ever getting the boot.  You know how this is going to go.

No chance for Milt.

1987 Topps #444 - Jeff Russell

Here's a smiling Jeff Russell on his '87 Topps release.  I have this buyback in Gold Foil format already, but thanks to Topps going crazy and doing five different foil colors with the 2017 buybacks (too much), this is technically not a dupe. 

In the franken-set binder's slot 444 I have this 1988 Topps buyback of Cal Ripken Sr., courtesy of Dimebox Nick.

Another easy call there.

1978 Topps #373 - Jim Willoughby

Sweet!  I love that this '78 Jim Willoughby is so wildly off-center that there are even teeth marks that you can see along the left edge of the card.  Jim actually pitched with the White Sox in '78, his final season in the Majors.  Still, this one has to have a good shot at the binder, right?

Ouch!  I'm a big fan of the infamous multi-player action cards from 1971 Topps.  Even though this could be considered a poor photograph by some standards, I like it quite a bit.

Willoughby goes down in an upset!

1975 Topps #273 - Steve Braun

Next up, a nice 1975 Steve Braun.  Steve had a good year in '75, batting over .300 for the only time in his career, and also contributing 11 home runs (the most he'd ever hit in a season).  Love the batting cage shot, too.  Is this where the tide changes and we get a buyback that makes the binder?

Oh man, tough call here.  This '68 Dave Johnson is pretty well beat up, but I've always liked this particular card quite a bit.  I think it's due in large part to the strange, almost discomforting, facial expression Davey is sporting here.

I have to go with the Johnson in what was probably the closest battle of today's post.

1973 Topps #109 - Doyle Alexander

We'll conclude with my personal favorite of the five buybacks Brett sent this time around.  This Doyle Alexander is a beautiful card that really has it all.  Behind the tall righty we've got spectators, and light towers, outfield wall advertising and even a few palm trees.  1973 Topps at its finest if I do say so myself.  I'd imagine this one would win out against probably 90% of the potential competitors in the binder, but unfortunately...

...at #109 it gets pitted against one of my personal favorites.  Even still, that Alexander is such a great card that I still briefly considered shuffling it in.

At the end of the day though, this Red Sox fan just couldn't make myself boot the Lonborg.

Brett, I hope you're not discouraged by going 0-for-5.  Your package was an awesome surprise at a time where I truly needed a pick-me-up, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the buybacks even though they didn't make the franken-set.  The Willoughby will be an awesome addition to my Red Sox collection, and Doyle Alexander is easily one of the nicer looking buybacks in the rejected box.

Thank you!

Franken-set Progress: 634/792 (80%)
1990 Topps Buyback Set: 101/792 (12%)
"Rejected" Buybacks: 537
Total Buybacks in Collection: 1,272

2 comments:

Brett Alan said...

Sorry none of them worked out, but as long as you enjoyed them (and I got another post to read!) it was worthwhile.

Chris said...

I thought for sure the '73 Doyle Alexander would make it..until I saw the '69 Lonborg. Man..it is getting really tough to earn a slot. Brett gave it a good effort though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...