Saturday, August 15, 2020

Cheap Slabs - A Beautiful Charlie Hodge

There are an infinite number of ways to enjoy this hobby, and many polarizing topics that divide collectors as well.  One of the things that I enjoy, though I fully realize many do not, is graded cards.  In a new series here on the blog dubbed Cheap Slabs, I'll be featuring graded card pick-ups that set me back $25 or less.

We get things off to a pretty fantastic start if you ask me; here's an absolutely beautiful 1950s Parkhurst hockey card:

The goaltenders got the best hockey cards in the 1950s as far as aesthetics.  There's not a goalie card from the 1950s that I wouldn't want in my collection, if the price is right.  In this case, the price was definitely right, as this card not only cost me less than the $25 threshold to qualify for my Cheap Slabs series, but was actually less than the price of a retail blaster.  Even better, it truly cost me nothing out of pocket since I used proceeds from selling my Stadium Club Crystal Ball Mookie Betts card to fund the purchase.

Here's a much better look at how colorful and vibrant the card is, courtesy of my iPhone camera.  These types of staged poses in full gear in front of the goal were very common in this decade, but it doesn't make them any less visually stunning.  As another example, my prized Jacques Plante from a couple of years prior to this card features a similar look.

Here's the back, with a vertically oriented layout, contrary to the front.  There's a whole lot to take in here, in two different languages of course, so if you'd like a better look just click the image to enlarge.

Well, that's a wrap.  Not much more to say about this one, except that it's more aesthetically pleasing, and a better long-term fit for my collection, than anything I'd likely have pulled out of a blaster box for about the same coin.

Even if graded cards aren't your thing, I hope you found this one interesting and maybe even enough so that you'll enjoy seeing some others down the line.  Until next time, stay safe!

3 comments:

Shlabotnik Report said...

Fantastic!

Fuji said...

People tend to have strong opinions on graded cards. It seems like you like them or you don't. Not much middle ground. I wasn't originally a big fan of them, except for authenticity purposes. But then I got bit by the rookie card bug. Now I enjoy collecting even non-rookie, non-vintage graded cards. The only downside is price and lack of storage space.

gregory said...

Slabbed or unslabbed, that's just a great card. Looking forward to more posts from this series!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...