Friday, August 8, 2014

Red Sox Collection - Greenwell '93 Finest Refractor

Today I enjoyed a rare weekday off from work, and took full advantage of the free time to catch up on scanning and inventorying the gigantic backlog of cards here at Shoebox Legends headquarters (I also managed to sneak in a quick trip to the local card shop).  Here's one I ran across today that I purchased just over a year ago and had nearly forgotten about:

If you're old enough to have been collecting in 1993 then you will most likely remember what a huge deal the '93 Finest Refractors were.  Inserted at one-per-box, there are rumored to be only 242 copies of each in existence.  These were some of, if not the, first refractors ever issued.  They obviously caught on because they still sell for big bucks (relatively speaking) to this day, and Topps now jams refractors into just about every modern product they issue.

Greenwell is the first, and only, Red Sox card I've picked up.  I think it set me back just over $20.  I don't really care that it's graded, but that ended up being the cheapest route at the time.

Mike actually represents the third 1993 Finest Refractor in my collection overall, joining John Olerud and Will Clark.  I would love to own a Nolan Ryan someday, but given that they go for hundreds of dollars I don't think that's too likely.

If you were around in 1993, did you buy any Topps Finest baseball?  Do you have any of these refractors in your collection today?

2 comments:

Brad's Blog said...

Packs were too expensive for me back in 1993. I do now have a mitch williams and Frank thomas refractor, awesome pickup!

shoeboxlegends said...

Thanks Brad! I recall drooling over your Frank Thomas a while ago. Even cooler now that he's in the Hall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...