Sunday, August 3, 2014

Signature Sundays - Wendel Clark, Owen Nolan & Glenn Resch

Three more re-issued 2012-13 Panini Classics Signatures autographs from the 2013-14 Panini Contenders set this Sunday (I know, confusing and quite a mouthful)...

First up is Wendel Clark, who is clearly much more adept with a hockey stick than with a pen.  Basically just a "WCK", one of the weaker autographs in this entire set.  Nonetheless, Wendel was prominent in most of the sets I collected as a kid, and is a name and face I remember well.  I was bummed when his autograph wasn't included in the original Classics Signatures release back in 2012, and I'm glad Panini has put it out now.


I always forget just how long Owen Nolan played for.  In 18 NHL seasons he appeared in an even 1,200 regular season hockey games for the Nordiques, Avalanche, Sharks, Maple Leafs, Coyotes, Flames and Wild.  I've got hundreds of signed hockey cards, but this is actually the very first San Jose Sharks autographed card in my entire collection, go figure.  While the signature is not great here either, I do think it's appropriate that Owen is apparently recovering from a nice shiner in the photo.


Last, but certainly not least, Glenn "Chico" Resch.  He did win a Cup with the Islanders in 1980, but it was Billy Smith who got the majority of the action that season.  Glenn enjoyed a long career as a broadcaster when his playing days were through.  He's also got the best signature of the three guys in today's post by a long shot!  I love that he includes his nickname, "Chico", within the giant R that starts his last name, great stuff.

That's it for this week, three more down from the recent Contenders release, still a few to go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd think that Resch would almost have to include his nickname in the autograph. I grew up on Long Island in the 1970's and he was always referred to as Chico. I think there were probably a decent number of Islander fans who know Chico but wouldn't know Glenn Resch.

...Not to take away from the signature, because it *is* a great sig...

Fuji said...

I've gotta track down a Nolan for the Sharks PC. Beautiful card.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...